• Register Today It's free!

92 Ford F150 Manual Transmission

4x4attitude

Reaction score
City, State
De Queen area in Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 F150 Straight 6, 5spd
Just thought I'd share my progress with my truck. In November I was driving down the road and went to shift. I heard a pop, bang, clank, and pinging noise lol... something in the area where the transmission meets the engine, it was steaming and dripping fluid... bad.

So for 2 days I researched how to take apart this thing so me and my dad could drop the tranny. I don't recall all the tools used, but I do know we broke 2 wrenches, and 3 sockets before we finally broke down and got an impact socket... let me tell you, DO IT if you ever think you need to. I got an 18MM deep impact socket at NAPA for 12 bucks... not bad if you ask me.

We had problems getting the bolts lose on the drive shaft at the back of the truck. also, the cross member was a PITA! finally got it though.

Parts removed:
Drive shaft
Cross member
Knuckle skin
Starter
Tube that hooks up to the transmission (can't remember it's name)
Bolts from the bell housing

So I didn't have a floor jack that we could stick our transmission jack adapter into so the transmission hung under the truck for about 3 months... KILLED ME to just watch my truck sit there like that. So, my dad finally found a floor jack that we could put the adapter into. He lined it all up for me and was kind enough to put rope on the end of the jack so we didnt have to be under the truck when we pulled it out.

So, dad tells me he can't get it out. So, I tried. NOPE, not budging! I came on here and talked to a few guys and they told me to try a crow bar. I did, that didn't work. For the life of me I could NOT get this transmission to frikin budge a centimeter! I kicked it, pulled, wiggled... ect. ect. Nothing!

Well, came back, talked to Corkey and Blueka... found out whyyyyyy I couldn't get it out. Let me post this picture and see if you can figure out why before I ruin the funny part.

397468_580227241990725_289019182_n.jpg

See it yet?

There's smaller bolts than the ones on the bell housing which are still connected... to that thin plate like piece. When Blueka and Corkey told me I needed those removed, I felt so stupid hahaahhahaha! sooooo, today I will be going out there to finish up this mess of a job.

This is what I get for not buying a Hayne's manual lol

Old Red
379273_580231028657013_609400336_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

***UPDATE*** Transmission dropped

So I did what the guys said, removed the two bolts. That baby slid out of there like a snake into water. Popped open the tranny top piece and this is what i found. OUCH!
602807_580655598614556_1998649983_n.jpg

406160_580654295281353_46980680_n.jpg

734748_580655315281251_645652215_n.jpg

76963_580655275281255_1171686874_n.jpg

I guess this is the master cylinder? looks bad to me but i honestly dont know what i'm lookin at. i'm learning as i go.

feel free to comment. who knows, you might teach me somethin lol

NO idea what to do

Hey, thanks for responding, I'm checking out that site right now... I'm completely lost as to what to do about this.

Getting the part would be great but I don't know what part that is or what it's called. I was told by a friend I can't get these parts, you have to get a whole new transmission. Then I've been told by another friend that you CAN get the parts. Perhaps someone could set me straight on what I'm looking at inside my transmission and my options to go about fixing it.

ANY help is needed.

Well my dad says he thinks I should just get a new tranny. He's paying for whatever we do to fix this so I'm kinda doing whatever he does. Even though I'd almost like to keep my current tranny and just replace parts.

If you have the cash you can buy a complete rebuilt trans for $650. Hardly worth messing with yours at that price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-TRUCKF...Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f3e4afd3&vxp=mtr

Don't beleive you can't get parts, $50 gets you a new input

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-M5R2-5...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cce3acbaf&vxp=mtr

or $100 to get the countershaft too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F150-M...Parts_Accessories&hash=item53ec03feb7&vxp=mtr

If you're tearing into it pony up another $250 and get a rebuild kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-M5R2-M...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb33653c0&vxp=mtr

I placed my ad on craigslist... hoping I get a few bites. I need a tranny, or parts so bad. Here's my link: http://texarkana.craigslist.org/pts/3610138612.html

Well the junk yard my dad talked to turned out to be a joke. The guy was an A**hole. So now we're having to look elsewhere for either a rebuild kit or a tranny from a junked truck. I have never rebuilt a tranny before and I don't know what those parts on the inside are called. It would be nice to just replace the parts on my tranny that are busted, instead of rebuilding it all. Plus, there was a plug on the side that got messed up when the transmission fell off the jack x.x so annoyed with this project.

Okay so I did some more searching.

I own:
1992 Ford F150, Inline 6 cylinder (4.9 liter), 5 speed manual transmission, 2wd, regular bed and regular cab.

Transmission type: M5OD-R2

anyone know where to get just the parts I'd need? I STILL don't know what the parts are called that have the busted teeth on them in my pictures. Can someone tell me what those are called please?

damarble named it (input shaft) & gave you a link to one on eBay ???

J...read & reflect :)

Well, thanks lol, I wasn't awake or something. Counter shaft. check. So far thanks for all the help. I'm still looking around for my best options. I did find a tranny from a 92 bronco or something. Calling the guy tomorrow. He says it shifted good when it was in use, it's got 170k miles on it which is more than what mine had, mine had 156k... but the guy only wants 125 bucks for it. He's also selling a rear end too but I only need the tranny lol.

I had a similar truck, a '90 F20 with the 4.9 and the M5OD, great truck and great engine!
At one point I had to drop the transmission to re-do the clutch, sounds like the "plug on the side that got messed up" may be the hydraulic line that comes down from the master cylinder in the engine bay.
The pic you posted of what you thought was the master cylinder is actually the clutch.
If I were you, I would snap up the used transmission for 125. Just make sure the bellhousing bolt pattern matches yours if he has a different engine in front of it.
Throw it in, get your truck driving, THEN maybe think about fixing your old trans.
Also, the general rule with a manual transmission is, if you drop the trans for any reason, replace all the clutch parts while you have it down.

I'm really hoping my dad goes a head and gets this tranny that I found for 125 bucks. I know it's almost a 3 hour drive from where I am... but I REALLY need a tranny. Also, I figured out later that it was the pressure plate I was looking at, not the master cylinder hahaha! I plan on taking out the pressure plate, clutch disk and checking the parts to see if they are okay. I would LOVE to fix them up/replace them but money is tight so we'll see what I can convince my dad to do lol. Thanks for the insight RangerX!

Alright, my parents took me to get that tranny I found 3 hours away. We bought it. It's in great condition, the gears all shift fine (just by me moving the shift stick into each gear) and now we're ready to install it. I got a couple questions reguarding this beast.

1) What kind of transmission fluid would any of you suggest and how many quarts?

2) I plan to get or reuse the seal from my old tranny. I know my following description is vague but I don't know names of parts. When you take the top of the transmission off (the part where the stick shift goes into) that seal that sits around there. The one on my old truck is fine. So my question is, Do I need any other parts exclusding that seal for installing this used (new to me) transmission?

Thanks guys for any help. OH! one more thing, Can you all look at the picture up above of my clutch plate thing (lol, sorry about the lack of correct names) and tell me if replaceing my clutch pressure plate would be wise at this point? It's another 120 bucks from autozone which my dad can't exaclty afford... We are only replaceing what's necessary at the moment.

Thans for any advice y'all can offer. It really is appreciated by this back yard wanna be mechanic! hhaaha!!

1. Mercon ATF is what the Manual trans gets. I forget how much, do you have the owners manual in the glove box? it'll say.

2. Not sure what you're describing, but I say reuse what you got.
3. If you don't have the money for new clutch parts, you don't have the money. If the clutch worked before, it should work again.

Yet another question... am I going to need gaskets for my new tranny? A friend of mine says yes but that doesn't sound right.

Thanks again.

It's been many decades ago that I tore into a manual clutch, so with that said.
Since you have the tranny off, I would take the clutch off. It's a diaphragm style clutch. Note all the fingers that form a circle in your pic. Then the next thing you will see is the disk. This will be between the clutch and the pressure plate. Not going in detail on this cause you need to do some research on this topic. It's not Rocket Science. Check out the condition of the surface of the clutch. Can not see until off. Check out the condition of the disk (thickness). Take it to a parts place that you trust and they may help you out with this. The disk will just fall out once the clutch is removed. Next you will see the pressure plate, this what the other side of the disk sits up against. Read up on how to check for any warpage using a straight edge.
Most likely it will be ok. But IMO I would get a new clutch and disk. Easy install thing to do.
I think the new clutch and disk will come with an alignment tool, if not take off the old input shaft, the one that is broke up and you can use it. This is the time to learn this stuff. It's so easy now with the internet. I'm sure youtube has vid on the install and inspection also.
Save the old tranny and learn the how and whys of it's working process. Note how the shifting collars slide over the syncronizers and such, the brass colored toothy things. The pointed edges need to be farily sharp or you will get a ginding noise going into gears. You will easily see how it changes from 1st to 2nd and so forth.

Two popular suggestions with this transmission I've come across is to ensure the rubber plugs at the back of the shift cover are sealed up or replaced with metal plugs as they can shrink over time and leak. Alledgedly this is the most common reason these transmissions fail is due to lack of lube. Not sure if yours has these plugs but its an easy thing to check and correct with the trans out. http://www.ranger-forums.com/drivet...1-m5odr1hd-m5odr2-manual-transmission-123480/

Also, the slave cylinder (the part around the input shaft that the hydraulic line hooks up to) can leak over time and requires trans removal to replace so now would be a good time to replace it if its old. I swapped the trans out from my 89 and made the mistake of reusing the old slave cylinder. It did work for a good few years but eventually started leaking and needed to be replaced. The trans is pretty easy to remove from this truck so if it wasn't leaking it wouldn't be too much trouble IMHO to replace it when it does and some slave cylinders were made a little better than others so you might be fine. If you don't change it then make sure you check the condition of the release bearing on the end of the old slave cylinder as it'll be making contact with the fingers on the clutch when you hit the pedal. It should spin freely without any rough spots or noise.

My 89 had 350000 hard kilometers when I finally retired it due to critical rust and bad steering/suspension. The engine would fire in -30 celcius and didn't burn any oil when it went to the scrap yard.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the input, I'll check on those things and see to it they are in good working condition.

Now I have another problem. I just called the ford dealership... come to find out, ford no longer offers the Gear Shift Stick bushings. Now I don't know what to do. I don't want my stick shift wiggling around when it's in gear... Not sure what to do. I think I can make one out of a 2liter pop bottle cap... but we'll see... any suggestions?

Part stores don't carry it either.

Back