• Register Today It's free!

92 Ford Ranger XLT t-case help

deltatechx

Reaction score
City, State
Evansville, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Ford Ranger XLT
Me and a buddy finished installing a new transmission and t-case in his 92 Ranger after his t-case separated from the transmission cracking the housings. There's only a single drain/fill plug on the t-case, I've combed the internet and even called the local dealerships but I've found nothing... What is the procedure for changing the t-case fluid and what fluid do you use (I'm assuming Merc ATF)?

specs:
4.0L v6
automatic trans
4x4
manual locking hubs

Thanks,
Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are separate fill and drain plugs. You may have to remove the weight off the back of the case to find the drain, but its there.

If I remember correctly, I believe the other plug is behind the dampener ( round probably rusted disk). You need to remove it to get to the second plug.

Which I need to do as well, and I believe it IS Merc.

There are separate fill and drain plugs. You may have to remove the weight off the back of the case to find the drain, but its there.

Ditto. Remove the weight from the back of the transfer case so you can see both the fill and drain plugs.

Click on this pic (so it gets big) and you can see the drain plug near the bottom since I don't have the weight on the transfer case anymore.

2105624731_46f3a4f4ec_z.jpg

IMG_1941 by maniak_az, on Flickr

The fill plug is about the same height as the shift motor.

~Mark

Thanks guys. What is the purpose of that weight? Would there be a noticeable change in how it drives/feels if it were removed? And it does take Merc ATF?

Back