• Register Today It's free!

92 gas tank removal

sholzee

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo N.Y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 EB 4dr 4x4
I have a 1992 four door explorer and have the unfortunate luck of living in the Buffalo New York salt belt. I cannot believe how the truck is rusting. A month ago the rear brake line in the drivers side frame rail started leaking somewhere between the tank and frame rail. I fishe a new one through, now I have gas leaking from the same spot. Two of the fuel lines a beautiful stainless steel, a third is pure rust, is this the return line? With the truck running there is no spraying or steady drip. I have to remove the tank to get a better look. It took me 3 hours just to get the skid plate of the tank because every bolt was rusted. I will get new tank straps and hardware before I drop the tank. Any tips from someone who has did this is appreciated. Where can I get new bolts, capture nuts, and straps besides a dealer. I believe the bolts are 9.8 mm with a 13mm hex haed. How many lines go to the tank? looks like 3. The plastic tank looks intact so must be the lines or rubber hose between tank and lines.

Back