92 mazda navajo engine comp. fire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 mazda navajo engine comp. fire

hodggi30

Reaction score
City, State
reading pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
hi everyone been looking around here a while and now i know where to find people that can figure anything out. I have a 92 navajo 4.0 5 speed 4.10 rears ran great got 25 mpg in town. Two weeks ago my father was driving and it died he pulled into a parking lot to find flames coming from under the hood. After the fire company put it out i seen it only burned the driver side front up. I am going to fix it but need to know i a wire harness from a 94 explorer fully loaded will fit.The harness i need is for the lights and power distribution. Any help would greatly be appreciated thanx.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would wonder the chemicals the fire department used. A fire extigisher will ruin a motor.

fire dept. would have used a foam...so it should be alright. it doesnt usually do damage

There are some great u-pull-it places in PA,

http://www.joesusedautoparts.com/EZPull.html

It's worth the trip for me from NJ (300mi round trip), so should be no problem for you since Reading is about 30 miles one way from there, they have tons of explorers and everything else, and its cheap too. Take a handtruck with you, that toolbox will get really heavy by the time you walk around for half a mile.

Believe it or not they used water to put it out. I know about e-z pull and save but its been hot. Have an explorer from work. i work at a salvage yard and auto garage but have no interchange on harnesses. from what i got in wiring diagrams they are all the same for 91-94, but the donor has 4 wheel abs not sure where that fits in the harness. I appreciate the time you guys and or galls helping with this.

The 91-94 are not all the same. Power distribution changed in 93 I think, the 91-92 don't have the same box under the hood as the 93-94 do. Try and find the same year to take the harness from, it will make life a lot easier, its better than pulling you hair out dealing with the small changes (wire colors, features, etc) that will be big pains in the butt to figure out. The time you spend getting the right one will be worth it IMO.

The connectors on the 1991 and 1992 are different (can't take a 1991 engine harness and connect it to the rest of the underhood wire harness.

1993 and 1994 I believe have EGR and a cam sensor, plus as already stated the power dist box in the 1993/1994 is different than the 1991/1992.

~Mark

Hey guys thanx for the info. Went to easy pull to find a ahrness and learned some 91-92 had the same connectors and some didnt. Any way got the right one and now i was wondering if any one had ant ideas on cleaning the fire damaged metal of the hearder panel and left side inner fender. I was thing about a hand held sandblaster.thanx.

Sandblaster sounds good to me, just try to cover up the rest of the engine and make sure all the windows are doors are closed so the dust doesn't get inside. Also cover the cowling up (blue tape might be good here) so that you don't get sand in the intake for the HVAC.

Also, don't overdo it on the body panels, if you stay in one place for too long you might warp the panel, its better to come back and make a couple passes on it.

After it's blasted make sure you get all the dust off before painting, washing it might be ok as long as you can park it in the sun to dry or it will flash rust right away.

an early 93 harness might work as well, 93 was kind of a tranistion year.

if i was you, you have the perfect reason to do a 5.0 swap! lol. your allready changing out the hardest part.

hey thanx for the info will get back on my project this weekend. I thought of a motor swap but the 4.0 runs like a raped date. The way fuel is goin is another thought i got 25 mpg in town with this buggy< and that not hypermiling thats givin it hell to beat all the hoop dees i have to drive around with.they sit at the light blippin on the gas like they have somethin but when the light changes they just sit in the dust lol.

Back