92 ranger 4.0 plugs whites on thread light brown in center, lose antifreeze slowly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 ranger 4.0 plugs whites on thread light brown in center, lose antifreeze slowly

derbyshireg

Reaction score
City, State
white river juction, Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 ranger 4x4 v6 4.0
Hi people,

I have a 1992 ranger 4.0 plugs whites on thread light brown in center, lose antifreeze slowly...intake gasket? head gasket...no antifreeze in oil. the over flow bottle I refill about once every 1-2 weeks. no leaks in radiator or heater core or hoses.all changed. also get a ticking noise like a lifter comes and goes lately its been sticking around...thru in some stp and marvel mystery oil after the last few oil changes and it seem ti help...lifters push rods /rocker arms... mileage is debatable its either 146K or 246K... assume the later. New here and any help pionters suggestions would be much appreciated.

Glenn From V:usa::rangergreen:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes they were all white on the thread light brown on the insulator ...

That pretty much rules out a combustion chamber leak. Then again, and I thought about this a lot, I'm pretty sure you have ruled out an external leak, unless you are just running water right now, which you might not notice easily.

How may miles/hours do you drive in that 1-2 weeks?

If you really want to do a diagnostic, you need to pressurize your system with a rental tool and see where it is coming out. Good puzzle!

My friend who use to work at ford dealership as a mechanic told white on the threads means its antifreeze (white on the thread rim of the plug) most likely from the intake gasket or head gasket....but on all of them? I agree I need to pressure test the cooling system. changed all the plugs and I will pull them in a week or two to see if they have the white again on the thread rim. I drive about 200 miles a week..last week I drove 500 mile though and the coolant lost from the fill line in the overflow bottle to almost the bottom of it about a quart I guess. I used Bars coolant sealer last year and it cured it but when I back flushed the system right before the winter because I was only getting warm not hot air when I ran the heater. Now I'm losing antifreeze again but no sighs of it being external. So its time to find the permanent fix no antifreeze in the oil so I hoping its no the head gasket and its the intake gasket and not a head problem crack or porosity in the cast iron. If the problem still there after I replace the intake gasket, I will look for some used heads and rebuild them seal valves lifters have them pressure tested and magnaflux for cracks and leaks. I'll let ya know what happens after I replace the intake gasket...while I'm in there I will replace the push rods and rockers. Thanks for responding and if you have any other suggestion let me know.

Back