• Register Today It's free!

92 ranger 4.0 valve noise

bodyman46

Reaction score
City, State
Temple, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ranger XLT 4.o autom
Just finished a complete o/haul on my 4.0. 176.000 miles and had burned exhaust valves. All parts are either from NAPA or the machine shop. brand new complete assembled heads. New injectors, new everything. This is my baby and nothing too good for her. Also, not my first o/haul but first in about 20 years. Problem, immediately upon initial startup and since it has BAD lifter rattle. Seems to be all of them. Lifters were soaked in oil for several days before install. Good oil pressure- mechanical gauge. Have not run long ; did not want to damage. I have o/hauled about 20 in my lifetime, but this is first with roller lifters. Ideas, anyone? Am quite certain it is the lifters since it also has a slight misfire or backfire on acceleration and idle is somewhat rough.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Double check the firing order..were the pushrods and rockers replaced ? ?

Firing order is correct and, yes the push rods and rockers are new. The rockers were part of the new heads. Push rods came from NAPA and I verified the length. Maybe I need to run it a little longer? Only about a minute total so far. But others I built had no lifter noise right after startup. But this is my first with roller lifters.

Firing order is correct and, yes the push rods and rockers are new. The rockers were part of the new heads. Push rods came from NAPA and I verified the length. Maybe I need to run it a little longer? Only about a minute total so far. But others I built had no lifter noise right after startup. But this is my first with roller lifters.
They would use stock length(5.475) . ..never seen rockers come with the heads..lifters wont cause a miss fire/back fire...thats a timing issue or bad vacuum leak

Gonna take more than a minute to pump up the lifters and get oil up to the valve train also

You are right; the rockers came with the kit from the machine shop. Was thinking the misfire/rough idle is probably just the lifters not pumped up completely so the valves not opening properly. Timing is controlled electronically - new pickup and crank pulley, both from NAPA. Will check for vacuum leaks in a day or two when weather cooperates to work in my unheated shop.

I know that new parts can be bad so will need to check further about the timing But. I have always had better luck with NAPA parts than some others. That's why I've been a loyal NAPA customer for 30 years. And no, I have no connection to them other than being a customer and knowing one counterman there for that same 30 years.

Yea id tripple check firing order and let it run for a little longer

Update ----- finally warmed so I could work in my shop. Decided to tear the upper engine parts off and see what I could. I had seen on another site that ford used 3 different length pushrods over the years. Figured I would have to go that far to replace pushrods. Well !!!! Surprise, the left side is not getting any oil. Right side has oil puddled on top of the cyl. head and down around the lifters. Left side, dry as can be. Got too cool to check any further. IDEAS anyone?

Update ----- finally warmed so I could work in my shop. Decided to tear the upper engine parts off and see what I could. I had seen on another site that ford used 3 different length pushrods over the years. Figured I would have to go that far to replace pushrods. Well !!!! Surprise, the left side is not getting any oil. Right side has oil puddled on top of the cyl. head and down around the lifters. Left side, dry as can be. Got too cool to check any further. IDEAS anyone?
4.475 should be in spec for any ohv for rods..

The rockers get there oil up through the middle pedestal . .if oil is not getting to the rocker shaft then its being blocked somewhere..possibly the head gasket is on backwards

thanx. I had not yet checked on how the oil got up there. Gonna be real cold here tomorrow and sat. and sun. I will be at an indoor swap meet, so maybe mon. I can check further.

thanx. I had not yet checked on how the oil got up there. Gonna be real cold here tomorrow and sat. and sun. I will be at an indoor swap meet, so maybe mon. I can check further.
Pull the rocker assembly off and see if it has oil in it..the pushrods and lifters dont have oil holes like old school motors..worse design ever and why these motors have bad oiling of the valvetrain

You seem VERY knowledgeable about the 4.0. Maybe I could get you to stop by and finish mine. lol Seriously, would not the area around the lifters - in the valley - have oil puddled around them if oil was that far but the path to the rockers were blocked. Or is that are oiled by running down the pushrods. I am a retired bodyman, not a mechanic, and the last engine I was in was over 20 years ago. Things have changed since then. It will be at least Monday before I can work on it, but will take your advice on the rocker shaft. THANX. Dennis

You seem VERY knowledgeable about the 4.0. Maybe I could get you to stop by and finish mine. lol Seriously, would not the area around the lifters - in the valley - have oil puddled around them if oil was that far but the path to the rockers were blocked. Or is that are oiled by running down the pushrods. I am a retired bodyman, not a mechanic, and the last engine I was in was over 20 years ago. Things have changed since then. It will be at least Monday before I can work on it, but will take your advice on the rocker shaft. THANX. Dennis
The cups on the lifters should or will have oil in them,normally bleeds up into them or down the pushrod..the valley will get some oil from the cam and off the pushrods from it leaking down and getting slung off..

Hopefully its not blocked between the crank and cam passages or the cam is gonna be bad.think there is 2 passageways that feed the cam and then up to each head..not 100% though its been awile since i tore one all the way down and blew them all out.ill have my other block back here soon but that dont help you currently . .

The cups on the lifters should or will have oil in them,normally bleeds up into them or down the pushrod..the valley will get some oil from the cam and off the pushrods from it leaking down and getting slung off..

Hopefully its not blocked between the crank and cam passages or the cam is gonna be bad.think there is 2 passageways that feed the cam and then up to each head..not 100% though its been awile since i tore one all the way down and blew them all out.ill have my other block back here soon but that dont help you currently . .

Just sitting here at the table and checking the manual; the rocker shaft has to be in the proper position for oil holes to line up. I hope that is all it is. If so. nobody but me to blame.

Just sitting here at the table and checking the manual; the rocker shaft has to be in the proper position for oil holes to line up. I hope that is all it is. If so. nobody but me to blame.
Its not that precise . .its a BIG oil hole in the middle pedestal , a slightly misalignment would still let it flow

Its not that precise . .its a BIG oil hole in the middle pedestal , a slightly misalignment would still let it flow
Finally got out in the shop yesterday and pulled and checked the left rocker shaft assy, All holes line up and now I know why you said it would be hard to miss the oil holes. Pulled the oil pump drive adapter and spun pump with cordless driver. oil coming out hole in cyl. head. Wel!!! Seams when I took that rocker shaft apart, and tapped the pedestals off, I missed with the hammer and hit on the side if the base of the center pedestal and bent the edge over slightly. No way it could seal. Shaved it down with a flat file and put back on. Oil now gets to the rockers. Will wonders never cease!! Went to town for new gaskets and a front rolled in and temp dropped 20 degrees in 30 min. Too cold to work any more. Looks like Sat. will be warm. so will try then.

Finally got out in the shop yesterday and pulled and checked the left rocker shaft assy, All holes line up and now I know why you said it would be hard to miss the oil holes. Pulled the oil pump drive adapter and spun pump with cordless driver. oil coming out hole in cyl. head. Wel!!! Seams when I took that rocker shaft apart, and tapped the pedestals off, I missed with the hammer and hit on the side if the base of the center pedestal and bent the edge over slightly. No way it could seal. Shaved it down with a flat file and put back on. Oil now gets to the rockers. Will wonders never cease!! Went to town for new gaskets and a front rolled in and temp dropped 20 degrees in 30 min. Too cold to work any more. Looks like Sat. will be warm. so will try then.
Awesome job..glad it was something pretty simple and hope that fixes it all..keep us updated

Awesome job..glad it was something pretty simple and hope that fixes it all..keep us updated
Finally got to work on it yesterday. I had been on another forum checking thoughts about the lifters. One person said he had O/H 12 or 14 4.0s and every one had to run a long time to get air out. One ran over 10 minutes. So, after fixing a small water leak, I fired it up and let it run. Good oil pressure and slowly the lifters settled down. Guess now it's time to finish all the little things and enjoy it. WHEW Thanx for all the encouragement and advice, I really do appreciate it. I'll check back in occasionally as things progress.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally got to work on it yesterday. I had been on another forum checking thoughts about the lifters. One person said he had O/H 12 or 14 4.0s and every one had to run a long time to get air out. One ran over 10 minutes. So, after fixing a small water leak, I fired it up and let it run. Good oil pressure and slowly the lifters settled down. Guess now it's time to finish all the little things and enjoy it. WHEW Thanx for all the encouragement and advice, I really do appreciate it. I'll check back in occasionally as things progress.
10mins is a long time but yea ive had one stick and took 4mins to free before..

All i was doing to this motor was removing the supercharger, replacing gaskets and had head milled.i blew the gaskets off from to much boost,i put the supercharger on another motor..

Back