92 Sport Exhaust Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 Sport Exhaust Install

dislexiclawyer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Toyota Tacoma
I couldn't decide if I should have posted here or in the under the hood forum so I posted here.

If you guessed that this thread will involve exhaust components being installed on my Explorer then you are correct. I chose the Magnaflow for a couple of reasons. One being cost, I was able to get this muffler for $62 shipped to my door. Also I wanted a deep sound but I didn't want it to be extremely loud. So far I love the way it sounds and hopefully it will only get better.

Magnaflow model 35129 Polished Stainless Tip
DSC02177.jpg

Magnaflow model 11225 Muffler
DSC02212.jpg

INSTALLED!
DSC02217.jpg

DSC02215.jpg

VIDEO!
It kind of sucks because it is on a digital camera, and I usually have someone around to do the camera work. I may get a better one in a week or so, and Ill definitely take another in about 1000 miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweetness

How'd you get it for $62 shipped? Pretty good deal.

Did you just re-use the stock tailpipe from the muffler to the tip?

Any detail pics of the cat-muffler connection and the muffler hanger setup?

How'd you get it for $62 shipped? Pretty good deal.

Did you just re-use the stock tailpipe from the muffler to the tip?

Any detail pics of the cat-muffler connection and the muffler hanger setup?
I got it on eBay and ended up getting 10% off on an auction with free shipping. I was pretty pleased with myself :cool:
Everything is stock pipe and connections except for the tip, muffler, and a small extension in front of the muffler, which you can see in the picture. There are actually no hangars on the muffler itself, just in the stock locations. I can take more pictures of the hangars and the way it is run if you like.

awesome

how come it sounded like it was going to die out when u started it up

That's really nice for a budget install.

If it wasn't already done, I would have suggested using the 2.25" mandrel-bent dynomax rear pipe in place of using the factory one, which I think is crush-bent.

More pics would be great, though. I haven't been able to look at a '92 to see the actual hanger setup or get anyone else on here to take any. Plus I'm sure other members would like to see how easy it is to replace the factory muffler with your setup.

Very nice. :thumbsup:

I know I have a different brand muffler, but if it's anything like mine the sound will improve over the next few weeks. Let it burn in some, and it'll get better. You won't notice it really though, cause it'll do it slowly, but compare it to now and it should sound better.

Good Choice, and a very clean install, good work

Well I took a few pictures of how the exhaust is routed. It would be nice to get it all re-done with new pipe, but then again it would be nice to be able to completely overhaul the entire truck. I am very satisfied with the results though. Also all the pictures make me realize I need to clean out under the truck. It could also use a wash.

Connection from the rear most cat, you can see the extension pipe used.
DSC02221.jpg

The extension pipe connected to the existing pipe and muffler.
DSC02222.jpg

Rear of muffler connected to a pipe with hangar attached, and the resonator is clamped onto that.
DSC02223.jpg

Better shot of the piping routed over the axle.
DSC02224.jpg

The hangar on the tail pipe.
DSC02220.jpg

Still have the resonator?

If you want more volume you could try removing it...

IIRC, when I did my exhaust, I didn't even have a resonator installed... weird. I wonder if the previous owner did something before I did.

Thanks for the pics!

A resonator? Wow, I didn't know 92's had those. That's some really nice install work, but it's really a shame you didn't go with a new pipe from the cat to muffler and the muffler back, it might have made even more of a difference.

Looks like the hanger is bent and it's about to come out of the rubber support, too!

Thanks for the pics!

A resonator? Wow, I didn't know 92's had those. That's some really nice install work, but it's really a shame you didn't go with a new pipe from the cat to muffler and the muffler back, it might have made even more of a difference.

Looks like the hanger is bent and it's about to come out of the rubber support, too!
I think I am going to crawl under there again tomorrow....or rather today, and see if the top of the resonator is clamped on too. If that is the case I may just stop by O'Reilley's and pick up a small section of pipe to replace it. I would have loved to get it all replaced with nice mandrel bent pipe, but the budget just didn't allow for it. All in all, for just over $100 spent by me I am VERY satisfied with the results. Maybe sometime down the road I could do it, but at least I got the old terrible sounding muffler out of there.

The hanger could very well be coming out of the mount, it is a virtually untouched 16 year old exhaust system. Ill have to check that out as well while I am under there. I also think a fresh battery and some new spark plugs are in my near future. As well as some stop leak for my rear main seal at my next oil change to get rid of my ever so annoying oil leak.

I put a Flowmaster 40 Series on mine. 2.5 inch stainless tubing. It sounds good at idle and low rpm but high rpm it is to loud and kind or sounds like a honda:( I wish i would have gone with the V6 model

The factory exhaust is all one big welded piece, so the resonator is probably just welded on top as well. The mandrel bent Dynomax pipe is like, $35-40 and has all the hangers welded on already. The resonator is probably helping to mellow out the exhaust, which would probably be a bit louder with just the magnaflow on there, so if you like it quiet with no drone, you might just want to leave it as-is until you feel like messing with it again down the road and then get the new rear pipe on there.

I wonder if the hanger came out from being pushed over when the muffler was installed? If not and it's just that part of the hanger that's bent, you can probably bend it back into the rubber piece with some pliers or vice grips.

I'm resurrecting an old thread here:

Anime referred to the Dynomax pipe. is that the dynomax catback exhaust HERE?

they only have the SOHC and V8 listed.

I am gonna weld another aftermarket cat in place, but I want to replace the crappy aftermarket exhaust back. would it be cheapest to just find the stock exhaust setup from the pick a part?
I want my truck to be quiet for once in its life

Back