• Register Today It's free!

92 stock- need help please

clearwtrbeach

Reaction score
City, State
washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 eb, 1994 limited
Ok, I'm trying to limp this 92 through until taxes. I have a new innova 3140b diagnostic machine. ( I used one from the auto store 2 yrs ago on my 94 w/ no problems). No check engine light, no codes, KEO ran and no codes. Trying to do the engine running test (like i said no problems before) now it won't get pass the beginning recognizing cylinders to go through the rest of the test. Tried several times and on my other vehicles - those worked fine-95 and newer.
Here's the problem: Hard starts, new battery, not cold out and isn't the major problem. Oil, air filter change a wk ago. Last several weeks, first it seemed intermittent then more noticeable, particularly under a load. At one point felt like the OD was going back and forth-but I think it's more like it's not getting fuel and cutting out/chugging kind of. sorry not great but it's the best way i can explain it. Fuel pump was replaced 4 yrs ago.
Like I said I can't get the diag. to get pass the first part to continue engine running to check things like o2 etc.
I can't trust driving it at this point.

1st thing I would probably try is to try running the test with a jumper wire. If the test runs with a jumper wire, then the problem is likely in your code reader. If the KOER test still won't run, then there is possibly something wrong in the PCM.

We did try the jumper wire, as well as trying it on the other pick up -95' and my honda and it worked. Pcm is kind of what I was afraid of, although at least I know how to change it since i did my 94 a few yrs ago.
How would I test the PCM with out replacing it??
I can't say as I trust the advice of the parts store. I have to say the mgr and the auto parts store- previous ford dealership mechanic freaked out when I used the store one (trying to see if it was my code reader) telling me I can't have my car running while using the machine or I'd 'fry' it ! Really?? did you not know it's a engine running, and the machine clearly tells you that.

If you decide to replace the PCM, you might consider trying a used one. I'm not endorsing the one in the link below - I just googled an image and that's what I came up with - But you need to match the part number (the long number starting with "F") and the calibration code (the 4 digit alpha/numeric number in the largest size font - T2Z1).

This is just an example that is likely different from yours, but if you match both of these to YOUR PCM, you should be good to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-MAZDA-NA...MPUTER-ECM-ECU-PCM-F27F12A650YB-/370702780138

Back