'92 Tranny Replace/Rebuild? Is it worth it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'92 Tranny Replace/Rebuild? Is it worth it?

asiamarie4

Reaction score
City, State
Linesville, NW, Penn.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 2DR
i'm looking at purchasing a '92 explorer 2door with 4x4 and a 5spd that needs rebuilt or replaced. the local junkyard wants $500 for a used tranny-that is what i can get the whole truck for. Is it really worth it? The truck is in great shape and its exactly what i was looking for-2dr, 5spd, 4x4, sunroof and all. My husad and his father could put the tranny in if we get it...but i hate to pay that for it. What do you suggest? here's a pic of it if it works: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/img_popup.jsp?car_id=196288314

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aww that thing looks pretty good, $500 well spent IMO.

The 5-speed tranny really broke?

I'd say look for a new one, although $500 isnt horrible. When i went 5-speed shopping the junkyards near me wanted $800. That was unacceptable, since i got a brand newly reman'd unit for $750 right down the street =)

The Transmission is the most unreliable part of these trucks, and thank goodness you want the 5-speed and not the automatic. The engine is a beast, and the axles are pretty stout. The front end might have some alighnment issues (nature of the beast), but all in all this truck will make you very happy. If the 5-speed you find is in good shape, it will only need to be replaced once. Im surprized you even need a new one. Most the 5-speeds dont blow up unless you abuse them. (IE 33" tires and stock gearing)

But keep in mind, if you replace the tranny, you will want a new clutch to go with it.

P.S. Make sure your hubby and dad put ATF (automatic transmission fluid, Dextron III, Mobil 1 syntheic is the best) in the tranny and not GEAR OIL.

Ford used this tranny, along side another 5-speed tranny for many years (before the explorer). One used gear oil, and one used ATF (our 5-speeds). Most explorer books STILL lists the other 5-speed (even though it hasnt been used in any ford vehicle since like 89'), which confuses people. And the fact that a manual transmission is supposed to take Automatic transmission fluid seems to confuse people even more. So dont use Gear oil! haha

You also might want to make sure the 4x4 works and I suggest checking the radius arm bushings. Not too expensive if you do it yourself, but a bit of a pita.

i got a 92 auto..but i bought it from a tranny shop that just put it in, and the guy who owned it thought it was too much to pay for it..so he gave it up..jus liek your..perfect car for me..so i paid the owner the money for the tranny, the work, the new windshield and inspection and frove away for under 2k..car now has 200k +..and i think it was def worth it..runs great..and is uppose jus under 50k on the new tranny..i've only replace the serpentine belt, the brakes (warped rotor) and the windshield when i purchased it

Welcome to this forum! Any vehicle that is almost 15 years old will need some sort of work. Transmission related issues should be placed in the transmission section to get more responses. I found it interesting that this transmission uses ATF, and not gear oil. Is it the M5OD?

Back