• Register Today It's free!

92 X, odd device under dash

Spartan

Reaction score
City, State
Sun Prairie WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT, 5.0 2WD
On the 92 explorer im about to buy, there is a rather strange black box attatched to the lower right-drivers side dash. Its about the size of an electric brake controller. It has a thin, wide "key" that slides into it. We dtermined that it actually cuts the ignition out if you remove the key from the box.....it has a ford logo on it.

Its a bit odd....and i searched, and didnt come up with any others who have something like this.

When i get the truck, i'll take pics...

Anybody have one of these on their X?

also, it doesnt appear that the truck has keyless at all, but i'm not sure (no key fobs)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any chance your explorer was an old paramedic unit?

That was Fords first venture into some type of anti theft device. It uses a 'key' that is printed on a PCB. The contacts go into a chip inside the key and the right 'combination' in the chip will complete the circuit to the starter and allow the car to start, using the traditional Ignition Key.

With the key missing, OR the wrong key inserted...the circuit doesn't complete. And the car won't start. It was a very crude design outside of the key itself. It was a dealer installed item, so it was a just 5 wires or so that were tapped into the factory wires under the dash/steering column. Ford learned that nobody ever took the key out. And it was abandoned shortly afterwards. About the same time, the early version of remote controlled alarms became equipped with a starter disable function.

The first time I ever saw one of these Dealer Installed keys was in a 1st Generation Probe, when it was brand new.

Ryan

Thats interesting. Is there any way to remove it easily?

You'll just need to reconnect the wires that it splices into under the dash. Crimp splices, heat shrink or tape should remedy it. Pull on your splices to make sure they are tight.

Back