92 XLT 4x4 Tranny (A4LD, right?) rebuild question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 XLT 4x4 Tranny (A4LD, right?) rebuild question.

Red92XLT4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Temple, Tx
Ok guys, I have some questions. First off, my wifes 1992 4x4 Explorer's Auto tranny literally blew the f*** up a few days ago. Am I correct in assuming it's an A4LD tranny? Anyways, I took it to a shop and they said it was that notorious front seal and pump problem that plauges the Ford A4LD tranny. They also said that the tranny would be junk and no good and could not be rebuilt at all. I informed them that my wife and I had no money and couldnt' afford the new tranny and all the labor. They recommended to go to a junk yard and get a good one, have it looked over and have them install it. Now I'm thinking that these people are full of $hit and just want some money out of me. Is it possible to rebuild these if just the front seal and pump go out in these things? If so, is there a master rebuild kit that I can get to do all the work and not have to go and find something later on? How about a good manual that can guide me? I'm not a certified mechanic, but I have good tools and patience, plus I can read a manual and follow directions, so I figure it shouldn't be too bad right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try reading the "My A4LD Rebuild Diary" in useful threads and see how you feel about it after seeing it done.

Okie Dokie, in retrospect I might just have it taken and rebuilt. But my question still stands unanswered, are these guys blowing smoke up my rear about it not being rebuildable? They said it's a big paper weight now.

I am at a loss to explain. Every transmission, far as I can see, is rebuildable - at some price. And a front pump seal certainly is no reason to expect a difficult rebuild. I'd find someplace else.

...Every transmission, far as I can see, is rebuildable - at some price...
That's what I thought too going into this. The guys at the shop didn't even crack anything open and check, they just said "Once the pump fails and builds up pressure to blow out the seal, the insides are damaged beyond repair and can't be rebuilt..." It sounded fishy to me because they wanted to charge me to take out the old tranny, send it to their tranny shop across town, pay to have him tear it down and tell me it was bad, pay for a brand new one from a supplier that THEY got stuff from and charge me to put it all back in. They quoted me over $2,500!!!! :fire: :fire: :fire: I think there is something seriously wrong with these people..... Which is why I came on here, I know I've read at least a million posts about the A4LD pump/seal going bad and didn't know if what they told me about it all being bad just because of that one problem was true.

Back