• Register Today It's free!

93 - 01 cologne conversion

Big_Stig352

Reaction score
City, State
Spring Hill, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer Limited
i was reading wikipedia about the ford explorer, and i noticed that for the 97-01 model years (2nd gen) the 4.0 Cologne V6 Made 205HP and 245LB-FT instead of the 160HP and 220LB-FT that the first gen cologne made. is there anyway to get these performance gains out of the current motor in my truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, how much money do you have?

Seriously, I think it's the SOHC 4.0L they are referring to.

IIRC, the 4.0 SOHC didn't come out until about 1999.

Either they have the dates wrong and are talking about the wrong engine, as wood1 said, or they are referencing the 5.0L V8, which Explorers had starting in 1995.

No 91-2001 Explorer made 250hp. The 4.0 OHV was 155-160 depending on year, the 4.0 SOHC was 205-210 depending on year and the 5.0 was 215. OH MY GAWD Wikipedia is wrong!

i gots a sohc 4L may not be the best designed engine and it deff as its proplems (i.e. the timing chain guides and tensioner) but i love the hp and tq it may not be alot butits enough to have fun with and the sound great with and exhaust and intake kit idk about the numbers though

The SOHC 4.0L did appear first in '97 Explorers. It's the Ranger that didn't get it until '01.

i was reading wikipedia about the ford explorer, and i noticed that for the 97-01 model years (2nd gen) the 4.0 Cologne V6 Made 205HP and 245LB-FT instead of the 160HP and 220LB-FT that the first gen cologne made. is there anyway to get these performance gains out of the current motor in my truck?

They are mistaken. They are talking about the SOHC V6, it made 205/245. But you don't want that engine anyway. :)

Back