93 2.3L Ranger Timing Belt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 2.3L Ranger Timing Belt

PtownBubba

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Ranger
I am working on a 1993 Ford Ranger Splash; 2.3L 4cyl, 8 spark plug motor.The timing belt broke, so timing was lost,,,, I lined the Harm-balancer to tdc,,[ which means piston is on top of stroke ] ,, and the Cam pulley to it's landmark on inner belt cover,, [which means both valves are closed sort of the cams tdc ],, I have spark to right side #1 plug, but motor will not start. On other years of 2.3L, it says to align the oil pump pulley mark to a landmark on inner cover. My oil pump pulley does have a mark on it,,so I put a white paint dot on it, but there is no mark on engine to aim it to,,, so I figure this oil pump pulley can fit on other applications, that have the engine target / mark. If all this pulley does is run oil pump,,,,,,,,,,, it has no influence on timing.

This 'is' a valve clearance / non-interference engine, meaning if T-belt breaks,,, valves have clearance with pistons, and will not be damaged.
It has a crank sensor to I assume tells the spark to spark,,,, no adjustments,, it is just there.

Then the 8 spark plug idea,,,,,,,,,,,,, the right plugs,,,, are what makes the motor function,,,,,,,,,,,I am finding out,,,,,,,, the left side plugs,,,, basically fire on their exhaust strokes,, to burn off unburned fuel,,, so those are for emission only,,,,,,,,,,, add little or nothing to performance,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

So,,,,
A. #1 piston on tdc, @ Harmonic balancer,, top of stroke
B. Cam pulley mark on it's target on engine, so both valves have to be closed, if you have to pull valve cover to verify valves are closed,,, why is there a cam mark ?
C. Has spark at #1 Plug,,,,, [ if it is sparking at the correct time ]
D. has fuel pressure
E. Motor would not run or 'pop', sprayed ether into air intake still no 'pop'
F. No distributor, so no rotor to set,,, it is electronic, with 2 coil paks,,, rear coil pak for the heavy lifting, right side plugs, front coil pak for the stupid-idea spark plugs.

If for some odd-ball reason it is out of time,,, what step did I miss,,,,,,,,,,,, or have to take to get 'in' time.

CamGear.jpg

CamGear2.jpg

CamGear3.jpg

We think we found the problem,,,,the crank sensor,,,,,,, the crank sensor is a 4 wire device, with a ground or shield-foil-wire wrapped around it,,,, not sure what the sensor end is, or was connected to,,, as this wire was COMPLETELY ate up by corrosion,,, or other element,,, the wire looked like it was a hundred years old,,, the top end of this wire had pulled or rotted out of a single push-connector,, next to the 4 wire connector,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so have a new crank sensor coming Monday,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hopefully that will wake up the motor.

Back