93 2 door sport automatic to manual changeover | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 2 door sport automatic to manual changeover

stx4.0

Reaction score
City, State
ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 sport
I have a 93 5 speed 2 door sport with lots of rust and recently came across a very nice 93 that is the twin in every way except the transmission.Is it hard to put all my manual trans parts over to the automatic or too labor intensive? I can get the automatic one for 500 bucks as the engine was overheated which is why I am even willing to tackle it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s tough to label it as ‘hard’ or not, depends on your skills! 😉
But it’s been done many times before, and written about on this board. A search should bring up many threads, if you want to read up on others’ experiences.

I miss my 5 speed 1st gen

not terribly difficult in a Gen I
With the two trucks side by side much easier

PLUG AND PLAY!!
you will have to change the pedal assembly
change the transmission wiring harness
change the steering column, or just remove the column shifter from yours and use the plastics from the 5 speed to delete the shifter hole/boot

Can be done in a weekend no problem if you are crafty!

Also, you'll want to swap the computers as well. if you don't, then your idle rpm will be a little high, and it will "hang" at a higher rpm for a few seconds after you let off the gas. That was my experience, anyway! It's not too tough of a weekend job.

Back