'93 4.0 Oil Pump Priming Info Needed *Update- Resolved* | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'93 4.0 Oil Pump Priming Info Needed *Update- Resolved*

Skydiver

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport, v6, Auto, 4x4
EDIT: jd4242 , thank you ! Your link is exactly what I needed to see/read.
* Consider this issue resolved. :thumbsup:

Hello,

I have:
1993 Explorer Sport 4x4 4.0 V-6 w/Automatic.

First off, I know very little about the 4.0 internals. I've rebuilt an old 302 and an Olds 3600 years ago.

I lost oil pressure while driving, yes on the freeway, and I assume pressure was lost for about 30-50 seconds before I was able to shut off the engine. When I shut it off it made no strange noises or sounds but it did idle low and its rotation seemed to stop quickly. I'd assume it was getting tight and building up friction.

With that aside...

Is there a way to find out if the oil pump is dead or if the shaft/gear(?) that drives the pump is bad? Can that drive shaft be replaced with the engine in the vehicle?
I've found info here that says the engine must be removed to replace the oil pump or I'd just yank the pump out and replace it.

I'd like to know if there is a way to prime the oil pump to attempt to create oil pressure? With the engine in the vehicle without cranking with the starter?
I cannot find any info about any type of adapter for a high speed drill that could be used to drive the oil pump. I remember reading a thread that a member mentioned trying to make an adapter. It was only mentioned and no other info about how to do so or if he ever actually did it. (I'd have to find those links again, its been a while.)

I know that the possibility exists that it could be the gauge or the sender but the sender is like three months old. I'll test the gauge in a few days when I have time. When I shut off the engine that day I did get the sense that it was tight. I really do believe there is no oil pressure though.

Thanks !

Back