• Register Today It's free!

93 ball joints questionss

supernac

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Hello, I just purchased a 93 XLT. Tried to get it inspected, wouldn’t pass due to ball joints. The shop wanted $300 for one lower ball joint, thought that was ridiculous so I decided to do it my self, I have a few quick questions:

1) It appears that ford used 2 different front diffs, how can I tell what one I have? I looked for a tag on the diff, it didn’t have one.

2) Is there a good right up on this?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should have the Dana 35 axle. I know that autozone says that some have the D28 but I've yet to see one in an X. You can tell if it's the 35 by looking for the pinch bolt at the top of the knuckle and ball joint, I believe the 28 used a threaded ball joint instead of the pinch bolt (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this)

If you search this forum, you'll find a few good write ups on ball joint replacement, but it's pretty straight forward, the only special tool you'll need is a ball joint press, which I think you can rent at most auto parts stores, or buy at Harbor Frieght.

While you're under your rig, it's a good time to check the other suspension components, in particular the radius arm bushings and these are a frequent failure point on first gens. I lucked out, as mine had already been replaced when I bought my rig in January.

Hope this helps
Pat

Little things to read up on or take note of.

You will need a Spindle remover and Socket, like this one. (http://www.ozarktools.com/suspension.htm) Look for W83009 for the spindle removal...and the Slide Hammer that it screws onto.
On the passenger side, you will need to cut the clamp holding the Boot on the exposed part of the axle ( just before the Diff ) because that is where the axle separates.
The top balljoint area. Mark the Knuckle and the large bumpy looking washer so you can put the Washer thing back in the same position. Keeps the alignment correct.

Freeze the new Balljoints the night before you install them. Make the install easier.

Thanks for your help guys. I found a guy that would pass me as is, dont even have to take the truck to him ;) . Though I will be doing this in the next month or so. I plan on doing the uppers and lowers, plus the both outer tie rods and barrings. Should tighten things up.

I'm a Ford parts guy, give me the last 8 of your vin and I should be able to get the tag# and info you need.:)

Howdy, neighbor...I can't help cause I have a 2WD.:cool:

Sweet, I'll get the VIN tonight.

Ricco, you could do it for me lol ;)

vin# 1FMDU34X1PUD57913

Could you tell me if it has a rear LSD??

Thanks

supernac did you get the info I e-mailed back to you? I'm not used to this format.:p:

Back