93 Ex overheating | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Ex overheating

I cracked my first set of heads thanks to a radiator split. The coolant came out but I didn't see smoke etc. while heading down the freeway at 75mph.. I actually smelled the truck being hot but the temp gauge was still reading normal/low because there wasn't any coolant left in there..

~Mark

Ever since the first time my old Mustang overheated and I destroyed the head and gasket, I always make sure that everyone of my cars or trucks gets a complete cooling system overhaul. When I purchased by 91 Ex, first thing I did was a complete flush. Replaced all hoses, removed and cleaned out the reservoir. I took my radiator to a radiator shop and had them clean it out, both inside and out. I changed the fan and clutch also. I also replaced the thermostat, radiator cap and water pump. Good thing about the Ex is parts are cheap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ever since the first time my old Mustang overheated and I destroyed the head and gasket, I always make sure that everyone of my cars or trucks gets a complete cooling system overhaul. When I purchased by 91 Ex, first thing I did was a complete flush. Replaced all hoses, removed and cleaned out the reservoir. I took my radiator to a radiator shop and had them clean it out, both inside and out. I changed the fan and clutch also. I also replaced the thermostat, radiator cap and water pump. Good thing about the Ex is parts are cheap.

We had owned the X for about 90k miles when we cracked the first set of heads.. The 2nd time was well over 100k miles later but it looks like it was a failed repair (head was pinned).. The 2nd time I just kept driving it and drain/fill the radiator coolant (water/oil mix) every time I changed the oil. It wasn't running hot but it was pushing oil into the coolant slowly.. at 355k miles I decided to fix it and I just picked up another motor and rebuilt that as I continued to drive on the broken head. Well, the other side had a bad valve seat but that was a different issue.

~Mark

Hi, Fellas!

Just finished putting on the heads, LIM, and rocker arms...O my, that torque tightening sequence...I got one or two head bolts out of sequence but finished everything in sequence with 90 degrees turn. The engine gasket kit valve cover gasket holes did not match to valve cover holes. Question...Is there much pressure under the valve covers? I may try to make the valve cover gaskets work or off to Advance in the a.m....Any advice here...can I use RTV on the valve covers to seal better? Please give me your thoughts.

Any pressure in the valve covers would be allowed to pass the PCV valve, that's the whole point of it :) I think for the most part, you just see oil flung/sprayed inside there. I noticed in the process for valve covers on a GM truck, you're meant to apply RTV to both sides of the valve cover gasket. You could go that route.

Well, I am going to Advance and see if their valve cover gasket holes line up better. The engine gasket kit I bought was made by Victor-Reintz (?) Their valve cover gasket holes are off a little, and to top it off their LIM gasket was two pieces instaed of like the Fel Pro which is one piece and has the valley in the middle. Looks like the middle part is to protect the area over the cam shaft ??? So, I used the old Fel Pro gasket that was put on 4 yrs (40K miles ago) ago - it was in very good shape - very clean and no depressed surfaces. Hope this is a wise choice. PLease chime in and let me know.

Well - going to Fastenal also and getting the exh manifold bolts and back home to finish this up. Any important steps here I'm missing - please let me know. Thanks for all the responses. Hope to finish today.

Personally, if I add any RTV to the valve cover gaskets I only add it to the valve cover side. If you add it to the head side it is a pain to clean up.

Another trick that might help that I've done a few times now on vehicles is to bring one of the valve cover bolts with you to fasenal (I got mine at ace) and get a allen head set screw of the same size as the valve cover bolt (maybe a little longer) and nuts that fit the set screw.

Now, screw the set screw into a few places on the head where the valve cover bolts went and you will now have studs in a few places which makes getting the gasket and valve cover on much easier..

~Mark

Edit: since your going to fasenal. I "think" this is the right one. 1/4 - 20 thread and 1" long. The picture on the page shows a really short one, you just need one long enough.. I'm pretty sure I got 1" ones when I did this last time... but I did look and I see them even longer on the fastenal site http://www.fastenal.com/web/product...pcode=&filterByStore=&filterByVendingMachine=

Almost Finished !!!!!

Thanks Mark - I got the right valve cover gaskets from Advance and they fit like a glove - all bolted together fine.

Well.... I have it all together except for two connections
1. Small vacuum line - looks like it connects somewhere in the air filter box area. It tees right next to the oil fill tube, then goes somewhere in the air filter box area.

2. Also, in the same area is an electrical harness about 2 ft long and is 2 prong, has Christmas trees on it like was routed along the wheel well cover on the drivers side. It also has a small bracket attached to it, where it is bolted somewhere.

I would appreciate help here. Almost done - Ohh - there is a heat shield that is two piece and goes next to the front drivers exh manifold. The studs broke during teardown (no pun here). I believe it protects the big harnesses that come by there. I plan to try to wire it up to protect the harnesses.

Next is the battery install, then air cleaner box. Then push it outside and flush the engine, change the oil, fill with new coolant and then try to start it up.

What do you think ??

Got any pics?

I'll try to load some up

How do load up a picture ??

Load pics to www.imgur.com and then use the little yellow mountain icon

Pictures

1. This is the vacuum line that goes somewhere in the air filter bos area
w4AjyFl.jpg

2. SAme thing different view.
SW7w26B.jpg

3. This is the elc harness.
RnDGoxU.jpg

Sorry about the big pics - first time.

Links fixed and images resized for the forum. Also, you have to post the images separately.

1. This is the vacuum line that goes somewhere in the air filter bos area.
jFRlI0l.jpg

2. SAme thing different view.
HleLBSb.jpg

3. This is the elc harness.
e3fDH3r.jpg

Thanks Cloaked - sorry will get it right next time - by the way - the two upper pics I figured out where that line goes. Its the line that tees back to the driver side and goes some where in the air filter box area that I need help on here. The elec harness is a mystery to me. Its late and I'm hitting the sack. Been a long 3-4 days. Thanks for the help.

So , please help with harness and attached pic here. Thanks n

Here's the unknown vacuum connection pic

The vacuum line should go to the fuel pressure regulator
g5w4zsB.jpg

the electrical harness should plug in down below
lFJxcnu.jpg

Sorry, that's not the one - please see last picture. I'll check the harness in the am. Thanks. zzzz.

Oh, you didn't have that pic posted before. That goes to the stock airbox. it controls the valve that switches the air to the tube that leads to the passenger side headers to pull warm air.

5HPBXX2.jpg

Sorry Cloaked - that's a different elec conn - I checked that and it is already plugged in underneath - that's for the crankshaft . This harness is dry - no oil.

Your other 2 conn on the box were right on !!! Thanks - still need to find where that harness in the above picture goes - maybe the attached brkt will give us a clue. Hope to fire up the ex this am !!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok - that was the AC connection - almost ready to start up - drain and fill oil and coolant

Back