93 ex won't start replaced almost all components | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 ex won't start replaced almost all components

Matthew Linsley

Reaction score
City, State
Anza
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explover XL 4x4
So I bought an Ex with 204000 miles and a cheap bracket lift to take out to KOH this year and beat up but after sitting in the driver's seat for a couple of miles I quickly fell in love, my first truck was a '88 B2, and decided to make it a platform for a serious expedition vehicle. My current problem is it ran great until it died on top of a dune in Johnson valley. The motor started to cut out while going thru rough chop so I stopped and tightened up the battery thinking that was the problem then I while I was climbing the dune it died on it started cutting out again then ran great then I stopped and turned it off and it wouldn't start, just turned over but wouldn't start. I got a tow off the top and was able to bump start and run very roughly down the trail for awhile wear it died again. I changed the fuel filter since I was getting a dribble out of the fuel rail shrader valve, fuel now sprays out but still won't start. I plugged in a spark tester and got nothing. got it home then changed out the IAC, CKP sensor, coil pack, ICM, TPS. It started ran around the block then did the same thing. I cleaned connections grounds and pulled apart a good portion of the loom to look for obvious damage but I am stuck I need more places to check or a good mech in the Temecula,CA. Help please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I bought an Ex with 204000 miles and a cheap bracket lift to take out to KOH this year and beat up but after sitting in the driver's seat for a couple of miles I quickly fell in love, my first truck was a '88 B2, and decided to make it a platform for a serious expedition vehicle. My current problem is it ran great until it died on top of a dune in Johnson valley. The motor started to cut out while going thru rough chop so I stopped and tightened up the battery thinking that was the problem then I while I was climbing the dune it died on it started cutting out again then ran great then I stopped and turned it off and it wouldn't start, just turned over but wouldn't start. I got a tow off the top and was able to bump start and run very roughly down the trail for awhile wear it died again. I changed the fuel filter since I was getting a dribble out of the fuel rail shrader valve, fuel now sprays out but still won't start. I plugged in a spark tester and got nothing. got it home then changed out the IAC, CKP sensor, coil pack, ICM, TPS. It started ran around the block then did the same thing. I cleaned connections grounds and pulled apart a good portion of the loom to look for obvious damage but I am stuck I need more places to check or a good mech in the Temecula,CA. Help please.
So I pulled the SPOUT bar and cleaned the conection it started and ran smoothly all the way up to 6000 and idled smoothly after I turned off the ignition and it won't start again. ?????

So I pulled the SPOUT bar and cleaned the conection it started and ran smoothly all the way up to 6000 and idled smoothly after I turned off the ignition and it won't start again. ?????
I ran the code reader and got 118, 122, 113, 335, 522 (I busted the connection replacing the clutch) 226. Is there a common ground?

pin 44 runs the dg wire to the shorting bar which in turn runs the gy/r wire for the eng cooling temp sensor, air charge temp sensor, throttle position, neutral sensor,and clutch triple function switch. check for signal from crank sensor to icm and for pip signal from icm to ecm. could be a fault with the ecm.

pin 44 runs the dg wire to the shorting bar which in turn runs the gy/r wire for the eng cooling temp sensor, air charge temp sensor, throttle position, neutral sensor,and clutch triple function switch. check for signal from crank sensor to icm and for pip signal from icm to ecm. could be a fault with the ecm.
The neutral safety switch which also shares the grey/red wire was destroyed last time I was installing the transmission I just left it Unplugged, could this be part of my problem

a bad neutral switch could definitely be your problem.

Back