• Register Today It's free!

93 Ex XLT 4x4 4 inch lift

WolfdaddyEx93

Reaction score
City, State
Julian, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello to all, I am about to have a 4 inch front and rear suspension lift installed, but before I do I need to know if I will need extended front brake lines & longer rear brake line & if the stock rear sway bar and links are ok to use or not and if I need to do anything to the front driveline?
Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know the 5.5" lift needs longer brake lines. I don't recall if my 4" lift needed them, but I'm pretty sure it did.

Whose 4" lift are you installing? Some come with sway bar extensions. If it doesn't have them you will have to fabricate something.

I know the 5.5" lift needs longer brake lines. I don't recall if my 4" lift needed them, but I'm pretty sure it did.

Whose 4" lift are you installing? Some come with sway bar extensions. If it doesn't have them you will have to fabricate something.
The 4" lift kit is from Rough Country

There is some good info in that thread, but no mention of swaybar links.

There is some good info in that thread, but no mention of swaybar links.
Thanks Rick,
I read through some of that thread, so I will need extended front brake lines, I did not see anything about rear brake lines and rear sway bar and links or anything about the front part of the drive line alignment to the transmission. My mechanic asked me to find out all these things before he starts installing the 4" lift kit

Hello to all, I am about to have a 4 inch front and rear suspension lift installed, but before I do I need to know if I will need extended front brake lines & longer rear brake line & if the stock rear sway bar and links are ok to use or not and if I need to do anything to the front driveline?
Thank you.
I'm about to do a JD 3 inch lift and emailed them asking about anything else I needed on the lift. they said with 3 inches you wont need brake lines or worry about drive shaft angles ETC. The most important part of lifting TTB is the I beam drop brackets and radius arm brackets to keep the camber and caster close to factory. How ever, when lifting your adding stress to your suspension components. I got lucky and a the 1st owner replaced the upper ball joints with adjustable ones for camber and caster. I'm currently rebuilding most of my front suspension to ensure the lift kit doesn't cause any issues. I replaced the gearbox a while ago (tons of play) I just did all the linkage and painted the I beams to match the incoming parts. I'm going to do a dropped pitman arm to hopefully to upset any suspension geometry and I'm adding their steering stabilizer. I'm gonna do the brake lines because My pedal feels like garbage and I have replaced all of the brake system excluding the ABS module. Long story short, just doing a lift kit and not addressing other issues is like skipping leg day, yes you can get away with it but its not recommended for the best experience.

Thank you.
20201022_153533.jpg
20201201_142445.jpg
Before & after pics of my lift, new wheels and tires

Back