• Register Today It's free!

93 explorer ABS light on

Watchman

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport-4WD
Hello - The ABS light stays on. IT has been like this for about a year. Earlier this summer I replaced front calipers and pads. I also replaced the rear abs sensor in the rear differential. Abs light still on. So, I used the useful thread here on this forum (How to: Pull trouble codes on 4WABS, very simple)
to check ABS codes and this is what I got:

31 - Front Left Sensor Electrical Failure
32 - Front Right Sensor Electrical Failure
33 - Rear Axle Sensor Electrical Failure
35 - Front Left Sensor Erratic Output
41 - Front Left Sensor Mismatched Output
42 - Front Right Sensor Mismatched Output
67 - Pump Motor
75 - Front Left Sensor Erratic Output

I ohm'd the front sensors and they are in the 1500 ohm range. Any ideas where to check next ? Unfortunately the pics are gone from the useful thread for testing abs.

Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I appreciate your reply ... when you say the abs module itself ... is that located in the drivers side corner of the engine compartment near the radiator ... it looks like it has a pump on it ? and it has three brake lines going into it ? How do you test it ?

Thank you for your help.

Update: I re-checked front sensors and the driver's side reads 1098 ohms, the pass side (RH) has no reading ... just showing a 1 or open circuit. So, I believe the RH side sensor is bad. I thought I saw a post here that stated that the range is from 800-1500 ohms. Replaced both of these 4-5 years ago, and less than 10K miles on them now and used Motorcraft sensors. Hard to believe one would go bad so quickly. The problem now for replacement is sensor bolt is rusted bad and getting rounded off. I have PBI'd the bolt. Well, I'll work on getting it removed .... preferably without having to tear down to the knuckle.

Is it possible that the pass (RH) side sensor can cause all those faults ? Just a thought.

Thanks for any input.

Update2 : Was able to get the sensor bolt off using Craftsman bolt extractor set (6 sockets from 1/2 to 1/4) ... Great tool ! ... the long bolt came off fairly easy ... I also used brake fluid which also cuts thru rust ... but now the hard part came up .. the sensor steel barrel was fused to the knuckle .. so I had to removed the wheel, caliper, then the friendly parts including the key, then the rotor ... then pound out the sensor from the OB side of the knuckle .... came out in pieces. I have ordered a front sensor from O'Reilly's - with limited lifetime warranty ... should have done this 4-5 years ago instead of using Motorcraft. I will make sure I apply a little antiseize around the barrel and the new bolt (coming from Fastenal or Ford - Ford wants $6 a piece for the bolt) .... will update tomorrow on the outcome if this clears the abs faults.

Problem solved ... Installed new Standard Ignition front abs sensor pt# ALS171, from O'Reillys. ABS light went out. Checked codes using useful thread from this website ... Flashed once then six times which is a 16 .... System ok ..

Well done. Strange all those codes over one sensor, but that's history now. Before, when I was talking about the ABS module, I meant the electronics package on the left wheelwell, but that's history too! It is odd you had to replace it a second time.

I had my ABS light come on and then turn off after a long road trip.

My fuse was off.. I believe it was a 20 amp fuse inside the 10 amp fuse. So I fixed that in 1 minute. Unsure if that was the problem.

Either way, glad you got it resolved.

Thanks for the feedback. Thankfully it was nothing else. Also replaced both bolts, (short one holds the retainer for the cable to the knuckle .. the long one is for the sensor itself). Used 10.9 bolts from Fastenal.

Back