93 explorer brake line HCU bubble or double flare? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 explorer brake line HCU bubble or double flare?

gogogsr

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xl
Hey guys, i just replaced my brake line from the HCU to the rear drums. I've been doing double flares at every end, but when i removed the HCU brake line fitting the line was using a bubble flare. Can i use a double flare in the HCU or does it as to be a bubble flare?
Thanks guys

i dont think it should have a bubble flare. i used double flares when i replaced my lines, but then i also got rid of my HCU. check the fitting maybe. i think there is a difference. when in doubt just use an adapter.

i replaced all my hard brake lines this past summer and put the bubble back in the lines off the resevoir and the three coming off the hcu, which is the lines you're talking about. when you clamp the line into the tool and put the little adapter in it to do the first flare, that will be okay for bubble flares. i did not have any leaks. i did however clean up that little booger of metal you get when you take the line out of the clamping device with a dremel tool (VERY CAREFULLY). good luck

cool, thanks guys, i've reused the fitting which was a M10 x 1.5 (which mean iso flare, or bubble flare) I' ve used my double flare tool but i've used the flat side of the clamp instead of the tapered one, here the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVbHk0kkX8k . I changed the entire line up to the rear splitting block, not that big of a job ;-)

Back