• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer fuel problem

billk86

Reaction score
City, State
maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 ford explorer
Its an Eddie Bauer edition. 2 days ago i went to the store with no issues, than all of a sudden it wouldnt start. while testing the coil, it decided to start fine. drove home and wouldnt start back up. i tried bypassing the inertia switch and it started running fine... for about 5 cranks and now it intermittently will start but dies after about 10 mins. i have a new fuel pump but im trying to resort to the fuel pump as the last measure. any suggestions of why the inertia switch bypass would be intermittently working?

When the engine dies does it just abruptly cuts out or does it sputter down the idle then stops.

Do you hear the fuel pump prime up when you turn the ignition on. If it does prime its working. Check the FPR vacuum hose if there is fuel in the hose is a bad FPR. If the pump was putting out low pressure it would still start and idle you would have other issues like lack of power while driving if it was a fuel pump going bad or a clogged fuel filter.

it abruptly dies, and i thought about it and checked the Schroeder valve, no pressure in lines. i finally said screw it and just got the tank dropped, working on disconnecting the lines now... i also have to check the sending unit. was just replaced a year ago and hasnt been working right for 2 months

There is no substitute to a proper diagnosis.

Back