93 Explorer Limited 4x4 Ford am,fm,cass,cd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer Limited 4x4 Ford am,fm,cass,cd

Shawn Coombs

Reaction score
City, State
Indian Head
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford Explorer Limited
I just got a 93 Explorer Limited and it has a am,fm,cass-cd stereo. There is no carousel in the center console. I'm thinking that the original stereo has been swapped out for this newer one? Shouldn't I be able to get the carousel, mounting bracket and harness at a junkyard? The harness that connects to carousel should connect to the back of the stereo somewhere too, right? It makes sense and sounds easy enough, so there's probably more to it? Since the stereo has CD capabilities I'd like to install the Ford carousel. The only upgrade, besides add carousel, would be the speakers. Thanks for any help. I searched online and couldn't find what year this am,fm,cass,cd carousel was introduced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe on the first gen limiteds (and any other first gen with a cd player) the carousel was located in the trunk. At least that's what I've seen anyway. I would pull the stereo out first to see if it has the input for a cd changer. If it does it should just be a plug and play deal if you find one in a junk yard.

My '94 had on in the trunk/cargo area. It was a piece of crap. It worked sometimes and would skip easy. You'd be better off buying something aftermarket.

You can get one out of a junk yard, but i personally would not. The "harness" is snaked together with the main wires that go to the door, antitheft, door lock module, etc wiring which is under the passenger side plastics

I believe on the first gen limiteds (and any other first gen with a cd player) the carousel was located in the trunk. At least that's what I've seen anyway. I would pull the stereo out first to see if it has the input for a cd changer. If it does it should just be a plug and play deal if you find one in a junk yard.
Thanks, I watched a video on YouTube of a guy replacing the carousel unit and it was in the console in front between driver and passenger. When I saw there wasn't even the mounting bracket in there, it had me thinking they hadn't started putting them in Explorers yet and somebody got a hold of a newer stereo unit. When I pick up the truck this weekend I'll look through it thoroughly! It very well may be sitting in one of the rear compartments! I asked the girl I bought it from and she didn't know if there was one! Thanks for your help. I will likely upgrade speakers and may upgrade the carousel unit too. Thanks again!!

My '94 had on in the trunk/cargo area. It was a piece of crap. It worked sometimes and would skip easy. You'd be better off buying something aftermarket.

You can get one out of a junk yard, but i personally would not. The "harness" is snaked together with the main wires that go to the door, antitheft, door lock module, etc wiring which is under the passenger side plastics
Thanks, I watch a YouTube video of a guy replacing one and it was inside the console between front seats. When I looked and didn't even see mounting bracket I figured in 93 they hadn't started putting them in yet. So when I pick it up this weekend I'll search the rear compartments and it'll probably be in one of them. Was planning on upgrading speakers and will consider upgrading carousel unit as well. Thanks again!!

Back