93 Explorer project "The Hulk" | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer project "The Hulk"

Ok to give a starting point i want to say that i have had a 91 X that i had the Superlift 5.5" lift on back in 2001 took it to MOAB and had a blast including jumping it 5' yes FEET off the ground at the dunes. However it was unfinished and i was 19 and traded it in for another vehicle and have regreted it ever since. Then in August of 2010 i found this 93 that i purchased for $400 because it needed a clutch and was beat up a bit. So Since then all i have done was a clutch until recently. I started replacing a few things here and there including one front fender which the other needs to be replaced as well eventually. Then i finally decided it was time for the fun stuff. SO i purchased another superlift 5.5" Superrunner lift, the one with the extended radius arms. I also purchased a set of used tires and rims tires are 35 12.50 r15. Then i purchased a set of 4.56 ring and pinion with master rebuild kits for both axles. And i wanted to start logging all this on here for others to see as well as advice. So you know before i get beat up too bad on the TTB i thought about going to a straight axle and i might eventually but i personally kinda like the TTB and this is also still going to be my every day driver, I just want it to be more offroad capable as well. I plan to replace all seals and bearings in both axles MAINLY in front while its all apart, and probably painting/undercoating both axles at the same time. Any ideas on some small things that i may want to consider WHILE im doing the lift and gears to possibly save me some time or hassle down the road a bit????

Thanks for reading if you were able to read through it all just wanted to give a good background. OH YA and i will post some pics soon of the 93 as well as a couple of my first X the 91.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok guys.......i am hoping to get something more done before the moab trip but am running into an issue and want some opinions.

Atlas 2 transfer case or SAS?

I cant decide which to do first. will the D-35 i have hold up to the torque gain from an atlas transfer case? or should i get it SAS'd before getting the transfer case?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well thanks for all the help and input lol..........but I went ahead and picked these up today.....

ForumRunner_20150124_190651.jpg

So I decided to sell the 9" and buy a full width 8.8 so I can keep my rear elocker.....just gotta finish getting parts for the sas and I'll hit it straight on....hoping to get it done before moab this year........I'm planning to get another elocker for the front and switch to 5.13 gears while I'm at it.

Not that anyone's paying any attention anymore...but. I started playing the other day and forgot to take pictures as I was tearing it apart....but I got the knuckles off the 44, the spindles everything.....blasted them and threw a quick coat of grey on just to prevent rust...

ForumRunner_20150201_212823.jpg

Then I put on a coat of green as I do for some reason I like the green.....anyway I'll shoot a picture of the green tomorrow and maybe some more shots of cleaning up the axle and whatnot....This is going to be a pretty slow going sas at the beginning as I'm waiting on funds but once I get going it should go pretty quick.

Awsome explorer.. can't wait to my 5,5 superlift get's here..
in transit and shipping company say estimated delivery 21 days :D

Awsome explorer.. can't wait to my 5,5 superlift get's here..
in transit and shipping company say estimated delivery 21 days :D

Thanks bud....I am excited to finally be doing the sas.....just gotta get some more funds together.

Not that anyone's paying any attention anymore...but. I started playing the other day and forgot to take pictures as I was tearing it apart....but I got the knuckles off the 44, the spindles everything.....blasted them and threw a quick coat of grey on just to prevent rust...

View attachment 82483

Then I put on a coat of green as I do for some reason I like the green.....anyway I'll shoot a picture of the green tomorrow and maybe some more shots of cleaning up the axle and whatnot....This is going to be a pretty slow going sas at the beginning as I'm waiting on funds but once I get going it should go pretty quick.

I have payed attention to this build up for a while, I just never had anything to say I guess. Great build I just pick up a SAS explorer.

Hulk's looking good....get it done!! :D

Thanks guys.....it will get done just have to wait for funds....kinda tight right now and considering I may be going on strike soon I can't spend any extra cash til I know for sure.

Can you post some close ups of how you cut the rockers. I want to do do sliders next.

Back