• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer running to hot.

ambrosewatts

Reaction score
City, State
Bulan Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 explorer 2wd
I just bought a 93 explorer and the temp runs all the way up to l in normal it isn't getting hot but i dont think its right. I put a new radiator, hoses, 2 temp sensors, fan clutch, and water pump on it. No coolent is leaking anywhere and my oil looks fine so i dont think it is anything to do with the engine. Also it sounds kinda like an airplane so maybe there are 2 different fan clutches and i got the one for a 4 heel drive. i dont know what else to do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

running too hot

Just a thought, but I had the same issue with my 93 50 mustang. Everything checked out good, but it still ran hot. I ended up pulling the thermostat and finding out that it was not opening all the way. This in turn caused it to run hotter than normal without any overheating issues, so maybe you are experiencing the same prob. Good luck, hope this helps.

Definately sounds like a thermostat problem, but dont worry. Thermostats are cheap, but are a hassle to get to.

welcome

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread to the stock 91-94 section. It does sound like it could be the thermostat, but if you aren't experiencing any signs of overheating (pinging, hesitation, coolant smell, etc), then it could have a defective temperature gauge.

First make sure with the tester that you coolant is the right mix of water and coolant.

Try the thermostat... Take the air intake tube off, remove the fan and shroud (you need the fan clutch wrench set that can be had at autozone). Lift the fan and shroud out together. Take the belt off and remove the idler pulley, and use a swivel adapter on a 1/4 ratchet to get the bolts out of the thermostat housing. It's not too bad, I did it with the rad out because I was doing it at the same time, but its not bad at all with it in. I would get a motorcraft thermostat and gasket, aftermarket ones seem to produce unpredictable results.

If that dosen't work, your rad might be clogged and need to be replaced. Try looking inside with a flashlight.

Back