93 Explorer Sport 4x4 Knocking under front after turning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer Sport 4x4 Knocking under front after turning

rocknrob

Reaction score
City, State
Garden City, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
I have a '93 Explorer Sport 4x4 and I am getting a knocking under the front end after I turn. It usually happens when turning and giving it some gas and I can feel it in the floor boards. It feel like something is banging against something. The knocking goes away after I straighten the wheel and travel for a few hundred feet. I am looking for suggestions on what it could be. :(

Are you in 2WD when this happens?

When the auto Hubs start to go bad, they Click when you turn. but you are describing a much more aggressive knock.

Yes, I am in 2wd when this happens. I was thinking it may be the u-joints are stuck but I haven't got under and really looked. I was thinking this because once I straighten the wheel and then drive for a few hundred feet it stops. If it is what signs should I look for. I hardly ever use the 4wd so I highly doubt its the autolocking hubs.

The 'U' drives on the front axle should not be spin at all when in 2WD so they should no be knocking. Unless they somehow bind from the movement they make in the turn.

Look behind te Tires where the Axles come out of the axle tubes ( right at the 'U' joint), see if you can see any fresh wear marks on the 'u' joint or the axle housing.
Look at the 'U' joints and see if they are all loose or beat up.

Back