93 explorer sport door hinge replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 explorer sport door hinge replacement

xplorernewb

Reaction score
City, State
washington state
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ford explorer sport
Long story short, a few years ago my explorer rolled backwards with the door open and it bent it back slightly and bent the hinges and now the door is binding against the edge of the fender. Which years of Ford models can I take the hinges off of as a direct replacement? I'm going to have to replace the fender now too ugh

Sounds like you bent the door post. This would require body shop type repairs. Not difficult to do, but not easy to get correct. I would suggest finding someone local with experience to help.

Sounds like you bent the door post. This would require body shop type repairs. Not difficult to do, but not easy to get correct. I would suggest finding someone local with experience to help.

The redneck in me is thinking that welding the hinges solid and then applying equal force in the opposite direction might un-bend the post. Then you either cut the welds or replace the hinges. Maybe? Maybe not.

Levering the mounting points as you suggest will probably result in the rear of the hinge points bending inwards to mach the already bent in forward areas. The hinge points would be back in their proper orientation, but there may not be enough adjustment on the door side of the hinge to move the door out to alignment. You might have to shim the door hinges out from the body.

Back