93 Explorer TDI Swap

timtimtimajim

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
I'm starting this thread to track and share the progress of my TDI swap into my 93 Sport. If you're unfamiliar with my Explorer you can check out all of the other stuff I've done to it here: Tim's '93 Sport

This is a VW BEW TDI from a 2004 Jetta and it runs very well. The guy I bought it from built it up and swapped it into his 4Runner. Drove the swap for about 150 miles then decided he wanted a 2JZ instead of the TDI. It's been bored .020 over, has upgraded Garrett VNT-17 turbo, and stage 4 Malone tune. On top of that it came with a bunch of parts to do the swap including full engine wire harness, Can2Dash, FlashZilla, downpipe, intercooler with piping, and a handful of other stuff to give me a good starting point.

38148E02-481C-421F-88CD-B74A6658BFD9.jpeg
8B5EB87A-327E-4117-8DE0-F88E65E130F0.jpeg
5ACFA865-FAB2-4B57-A7E7-CC2836D1BD0D.jpeg

Garage is all cleaned and ready for the swap to begin. Hoping to get started pulling the old motor over the next few days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We had a '00 TDI. It was tuned and had a straight pipe. Very fun car for sure.

Are you planning on keeping 4wd or going to 2wd?

The few TDI's I've driven have been a ton of fun even stock!

It'll still be 4wd. Will be nice to have all of the low end torque in the rocks.

Fabricating adapters? Which transmission and transfercase?

That's a sexy motor. I'm swapping a VT275 diesel into a Jeep Liberty. I'll be following this build.

🤣

vwramp.jpg

I’ve been watching your thread on that! Looks like that’ll be a fun swap. Is it a common swap for the Liberty’s?
The Cummins engines are the most commonly swapped , either a 4BT or the ISB 170. I've seen a TDI and a Kubota V2203. I went with the 4.5 powerstroke cause it has the modular sbf pattern on the block and can be turned up easily to 275 hp and 550 twist.

The Cummins engines are the most commonly swapped , either a 4BT or the ISB 170. I've seen a TDI and a Kubota V2203. I went with the 4.5 powerstroke cause it has the modular sbf pattern on the block and can be turned up easily to 275 hp and 550 twist.
Ooh very cool! More than enough torque for a Liberty

Ooh very cool! More than enough torque for a Liberty
Someone swapped one in a 1987 ford ranger. He was almost done, then pulled the motor to use in an early bronco. Once I get it figured out, I'd like to find a B2 or explorer sport to swap one into.

Spent a few hours today taking stuff apart on the top side and draining fluids. Nothing fought me at all… it’s like the V6 is ready to get pulled out! Just need to remove the exhaust and unbolt the transmission, then the motor can come out. Found all of the different fluid leaks this thing has had for years. Power steering pump has almost a half inch of shaft play. Also decided I’ll replace the steering box while the motor is out.

DADF1527-DEB4-4697-A051-F81F3D69B5D6.jpeg

Have you worn the wheels off it in your mind yet?

What’s the condition of the old engine and what are you doing with it after the conversion?

Can’t wait to see this happen!!

Can you spin the crank by twisting 2 fingers on the dampner bolt?

Well the V6 is about an hour away from being freed. Spent some time today pulling the exhaust, driveshafts, and t-case. Have to pick up an engine crane from my buddy sometime this week. Hoping next weekend I’ll be able to get the motor out!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The old V6 is out! As with everything so far, it didn't put up a fight. Need to start ordering parts to fit the TDI in. In the meantime, I'll get the engine bay cleaned up. Also need to sit down with the Explorer wiring diagram and VW diagram to figure out where to hook everything up. I'm planning to simplify the harness and clean up all of my accessory wiring too.
D0422C1E-7B00-4B50-AEB2-DC8CE3091CC2.jpeg
8C8A3854-0CB5-459A-AC3D-F1B960B00167.jpeg
30F59EEE-1AC3-4B69-96F1-4EC7186AF128.jpeg
7CAAD94E-13DE-4AAA-99E4-9CF700BC29A8.jpeg

Back