• Register Today It's free!

93 explorer transmission issue

claytonjpc

Reaction score
City, State
indianapolis,indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer sport
I recently bought a 93 explorer sport 4x4. The transmission started to delay when I put it into drive. One day I put it in reverse then drive. Then nothing. Like it was in neutral. Would not go into drive. Only reverse it would go. I checked the transmission fluid and was not low. Saw no leak under the truck. Would like any advise on what could be the issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know you said you checked the fluid but, did you check the fluid with the engine and trans warm? After being driven and shifted through all gears? Honestly this sounds like a fluid level issue to me. If the trans doesn't have enough fluid it can't create enough pressure to go into Drive.

Yes I checked the fluid with engine warm. Went through all the gears. Still will only go in reverse.

I am hoping I don't need a new transmission. I have already spent $2000 on repairs on this truck in the past 4 months.

I hate to say but this symptom is what quite a few people have had right before they yank the transmission out for rebuilding. Add some fluid, maybe half a quart, it won't hurt. If more fluid doesn't do it, and you get absolutely nothing in 1, 2, D, OD then it's likely rebuild time.

I will give it a try with more fluid. How much should I add? Obviously while engine running.. I'm afraid I will have to sink another $2000 into with the $2000 I already put into it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably get desperate and dump a quart or two in but I'd say do it half a quart at a time and if it doesn't improve with 1 quart, it likely won't.

I tried 3 quarts . Still nothing. I found a used al4d transmission for $700 with 83000 miles on it. I'm considering buying it. Just need someone to install it.

Where you located? I don't see it listed in your profile

Would it be cheaper to rebuild my transmission. Or buy a used one and put New parts on it.

I would think it would be cheaper to rebuild your current transmission. You already have the trans, you just have to buy the parts. Buying a used one and putting new parts on it is essentially doing the same thing, but with the added cost of the transmission on top of the new parts.

Would it be cheaper to rebuild my transmission. Or buy a used one and put New parts on it.
I'd go the craigslist route. There is an ad in bloomington, guy is asking $500 for 2 explorers, one has a rebuilt trans less than a year old. You could barter or sell what you don't need to cover the expense of the transmission.

Hopefully we're wrong and there's something else minor to check...

But there's a few different ways to go. You know what you have in yours, if the clutches held good then it's likely the hard parts like gears that failed. If you know yours wasn't abused then it's better to rebuild what you have. Getting a rebuilt one on Craigslist can save you a lot of hassle if you're lucky but transmissions are picky and even those that know them can be fooled by the A4LD since it's mostly hydraulic. There's an ATSG manual and then an ATSG update manual that has important fixes and updates by Ford. There's also an excellent thread in here about rebuilding an A4LD. If you follow the manual and thread and have a patient/OCD/**** mindset, you can probably do a good job.

Here's the A4LD manuals:
ATSG: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/a4ld_manual_atsg.pdf
ATSG Update: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/a4ld_manual_atsg_update.pdf

I've decided to get my transmission rebuilt.

• Off subject, but my sister lives in Indy.

Back