• Register Today It's free!

'93 Explorer won't start

Nightmarein3D

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
When I turn the key, all I get is a loud 'click' from the solinoid start switch, mounted on the fenderwell. I've replaced the switch. No change. I replaced the starter solinoid. No change. Thinking that it might be a bad battery cable, I ran a jumper cable from the positive battery to the solinoid switch, and from the solinoid switch to the solinoid. No change. I ran a jumper cable from the positive battery to the solinoid. No change. My next try will be two or three sticks of T.N.T.
Any ideas???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

Two things come to mind if you've ruled out the stuff above. A bad battery or a bad starter. Autozone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc. will all check 'em for free.

P.S.

Moving to the proper forum.

bad battery cables.

jdrapper, i liked sue's images except they all have type on them.

and i am having a pink floyd only night and 'dark side of the moon' is playing, the plane is about to crash.

Robert MortonII

I had a similer problem. First verify that there is voltage at the solenoid. Mine was full voltage. I had to replace the solenoid starter combo. If no power to starter take off the cables from the batery and thuroughly clean both cables and battery posts.

Use an ohm meter and check voltage at the starter solenoid with the key on, and then when cranking. If it drops significantly when trying to start, then check cables. Don't forget grounds.

Welcome to the forum Nightmare.

If you do a search of this site, you should be able to find a method to use a jumper cable to hotwire the starter directly to the battery. I haven't personally tried it, but it sounds like a good way to test whether it's the starter or something in between (cable, solenoid, etc.).

You will also find that battery cables, especially on the Explorer, commonly corrode from inside, and you often can't see the problem before it's too late.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Back