93 Explorer xlt random stalls and dies | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer xlt random stalls and dies

FordRules1

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Ana, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 xlt
ok hello to everyone im new here and am in need of desperate help , my explorer will randomly stall and die (but it will mostly do it while waiting for a red light or at a stop sign), it will do it few times accelarating , and has died only 1 time (out of the hundreds) on the freeway, (fyi over time it has gotten worst as in the stalls and dies happened more frequent) so out of desperation i took it to ford for a diagnostic ($114) and this is what they found:

OBD-1 Codes-

536 brake switch
629 Trans fault
157 MAF
211 IGN module or loom
542 Fuel pump or circuit (it has new fuel pump)

543 these were both labeled
556 together as wire harness

ok based on ur guys knowledge and expertise :D what could be causing the random stall and dies, if not what to start replacing first , i hope i can fix this its getting out of hand thx all :(

ok hello to everyone im new here and am in need of desperate help , my explorer will randomly stall and die (but it will mostly do it while waiting for a red light or at a stop sign), it will do it few times accelarating , and has died only 1 time (out of the hundreds) on the freeway, (fyi over time it has gotten worst as in the stalls and dies happened more frequent) so out of desperation i took it to ford for a diagnostic ($114) and this is what they found:

OBD-1 Codes-

536 brake switch
629 Trans fault
157 MAF
211 IGN module or loom
542 Fuel pump or circuit (it has new fuel pump)

543 these were both labeled
556 together as wire harness

ok based on ur guys knowledge and expertise :D what could be causing the random stall and dies, if not what to start replacing first , i hope i can fix this its getting out of hand thx all :(

DTC 536
Brake On/Off circuit failure or not actuated during KOER self-test.

DTC 629
Torque Converter Clutch solenoid circuit failure.

DTC 157
Mass air flow sensor circuit below minimum voltage.

DTC 211
Profile ignition pickup circuit failure.

DTC 542
Fuel pump secondary circuit failure.

DTC 543
Fuel pump secondary circuit failure

DTC 556
Fuel pump relay primary circuit failure.

If you follow the instructions in this thread, you can save yourself $114 every time you need to pull codes.
Best thing to do would be to disconnect the negative cable from the battery and let it sit for 30 - 45 minutes then reconnect it. Afterwards, drive it for a day or two and then pull the codes using the method in the thread I linked.

I want to know what the current codes are and if they're KOEO hard codes, Continuous Memory codes, or KOER hard codes. Most of the codes you posted have different diagnostic procedures depending on the type of code, so I'll need the most current codes and the type of code it is.

ok ima go ahead and do like u said and try the method for pulling codes and see wat i get, ill do this when i have time in the next few days

Back