93 ford explorer sport door lock issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 ford explorer sport door lock issue

splvictim21

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 ford explorer sport
Alright guy's i need some help and i can not figure this one out for the life of me. I have a 93 ford explorer my driver side door lock open's up and down no problem's at all works great. Now my passenger side the door lock is acting up its like the lock popper itself wont pop all way and when it is unlocked it won't open from handle on the outside. Now if i do it from the inside open's easy & the door popper will go all the way up no issues. please help thanks very much.

i found this old post, i am having a simular issue with my 98 Explorer 4 door. Did you get it resolved? how?

i found this old post, i am having a simular issue with my 98 Explorer 4 door. Did you get it resolved? how?
I don't recall the specific symptoms, but one possibility might be that there is a spring in the latch mechanism that broke.

See this topic: Driver door will not lock or unlock

Especially see my post at the following link, where there is a picture of the latch that shows where you should see the spring in question if it is not broken:

I know I've seen several more related topics, like these: Search results for query: spring latch

In some cases, it will work again if you just spray a lot of lube in and work the latch mechanism to free up the hardened grease, or considering how old the grease may already be, might be better still to spray in WD-40 a few times while working the mechanism to flush some of the old grease out, then come back and spray lithium grease.

Also I know this sounds wild but the lock lever will get hung up on the door panel itself. If the little plastic tip is too tight (kids like ti tighten them) it can allow it to travel too far into the door panel and it can get hung up… so even a properly working key and actuator can have issues locking and unlocking because the little thing cannot physically travel up and down.

So make sure the plastic tip and the hole in the door panel are not having issues with each other

Back