• Register Today It's free!

93 Ford Ranger 4x4 NEED HELP

93ranger4x4kdm

Reaction score
City, State
Stow,OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Ford Ranger
Okay well I have a 93 Ford Ranger ext cab 4x4. Has 4.0L V6 Automatic. Well I need help with the 4x4. You can hear the transfer case click. (Manual Locking Hubs) I lock the hubs then put it in drive and it rides very rough. You can hear some knocking from the front end. Its not even driveable in 4wd. Can someone please give me an idea what it could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would check the front u-joints to see if there binding up. Does it do this if you dont lock the hubs?

Sounds like U-Joints to me as well. My drivers side is ready to be replaced. When I put mine in four wheel and start driving around it makes a very noticeable thumping sound. They are pretty cheap but painful to install.

Use the search function here at Explorer Forum, I know for a fact there is a great how too on this. Well, I think it was for something else but it does cover the U-Joints as well.

I was also thinking the u joints...Its like awful...Its very very rough and i smell some kind of burning smell. Got a question for yall....Should the front driveshaft spin in park?

Back