• Register Today It's free!

93 Manual TC and Hub swap?

kindaclean93

Reaction score
City, State
cali
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer EB
I know you guys have probably seen this thread a million times, but I've been unable to find one regarding my issue. What parts am I going to need, how long's it gonna take, and how much am I gonna have to hack off of my truck for it? I have the pushbutton low and 4x4 and it doesn't work worth a damn, so I'd rather just have it floorshifted.

turmk.PNG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know you guys have probably seen this thread a million times, but I've been unable to find one regarding my issue. What parts am I going to need, how long's it gonna take, and how much am I gonna have to hack off of my truck for it? I have the pushbutton low and 4x4 and it doesn't work worth a damn, so I'd rather just have it floorshifted.

View attachment 178314

In order of questions asked:
- 1354 t-case, manual shifter/boot/ base plate
- An afternoon
- Cut a slit in your carpet where the shifter goes/cut a small rectangular hole in your base plate if you can't find one from a donor.
- If you want the 4x4 lights, trace those wires to shift motor, buy the connector of rockauto and splice them in, connect to the sensor on the tc.

For the manual hubs, just search there are threads all over the place with the conversion kit part number, the various hubs that will fit, and how to do the swap.

In order of questions asked:
- 1354 t-case, manual shifter/boot/ base plate
- An afternoon
- Cut a slit in your carpet where the shifter goes/cut a small rectangular hole in your base plate if you can't find one from a donor.
- If you want the 4x4 lights, trace those wires to shift motor, buy the connector of rockauto and splice them in, connect to the sensor on the tc.

For the manual hubs, just search there are threads all over the place with the conversion kit part number, the various hubs that will fit, and how to do the swap.
Thank you! I'm assuming this applies for the automatic trans too?

Automatic, manual makes no difference. Past the tail housing on either it's all the same.

I have a couple sets of the D35 locking hubs that I scavenged but don't need anymore since I swapped to D44 outers that I'd sell.

Just in case you haven’t fully diagnosed the issue, you could find some good info to narrow down where the problem is. Might just be blown auto hubs. List of Useful Threads - 4x4 Troubleshooting guide
That said, I did the same swap on my truck years ago, the hubs are an easy swap, the tcase a little more involved, but basic mechanic skill will easily get you through it.
Most important is to find a manual case with the complete shifter including the bolts for it.

Back