'93 Missing/Lost Power/Running Rough - Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'93 Missing/Lost Power/Running Rough - Help!

dollarlongnecks

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
This may or may not be related to my other problem posted in the forum Dead Link Removed. I didn't post them together, as it would be really long.

Right after the other problem started and we replaced a few parts, the truck started running sluggishly. The engine idles rough and kinda lopes, and there is a very noticable loss in power during acceleration. There is also a spot during highway driving where the engine hesitates and shakes when I try to accelerate. I have to floor it to kick it into the next gear to get any acceleration.

I've ruled out bad gas, as I was at the end of a tank. I've ruled out coolant being sucked into a cylinder, because there is no vapor from the tailpipe after the car is warm. I've checked vacuum hoses and can't find any loose ones. I'm worried it is related to the other problem, but I can't figure out how.

Here are some things I plan to do: clean the MAF sensor, replace the Fuel filter, check the IAC valve.

The plugs are about 2 years old. I think the wires are factory, but look to be in good shape.

I'm really at a loss, and not sure what to look at next. Thanks for any help...

My suggestions cracked head. My brother-in-law is going thru the same deal. We have changed every thing including head gaskets, little improvement, but still doesn't run right. What your gauge may be reading is an air bubble caused by compression in the cooling system, while running look in over flow tank, and watch for bubbles, if they are consistant you may have a compression leak.

HA! 2 fouled plugs, one of which was bridged. New plugs and wires and she runs like a dream...

Still has the weird problem with cooling though...

Back