93 motor swap issue | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 motor swap issue

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New fuel pump too. The old one was no good.

Have you checked for spark at a plug?

To make sure engine damage did not occur, or if timing jumped or not a compression check could be done.

Going back to basics, check engine light on with key? fuel pump prime sound? After compression check I would try the starting fluid again.

And, I do believe the oil pressure "switch" also shuts down the engine. The cam sensor drives the oil pump.

what about the low oil sensor does that shut down the engine? Im going to pic n pull tomorrow for parts.

not that I'm aware of?? The oil pressure sensor only feeds the gauge and the oil level check in the pan only feeds a light in the dash

I think like Jon said start with the super basics, air fuel spark

Check compression, its easy enough
Check fuel psi at the rail
Check for spark at a plug
Can try a little ether she is she shows signs of life

On these trucks if no spark or still no start then next thing I do is check for 12V+ at the red power dist wire with the key on.... If you have 12V+ at an injector, MAS, etc then you know the PCM is powering up and distributing power to all the sensors, ready to crank and fire up

so every truck at Pick-n-Pull today had something in place of a cam sensor. probably just so you could drive the oil pump.......... makes me wonder if I smashed the crank sensor. I guess as you guys have said I'm going to start with the basics Basics tomorrow morning.

I have 12 volts at injector but not at crank sensor

so I checked my coil pack pass the test put the other coil pack on it also pass the test the engine will crank crank crank crank crank and then spark once I stopped trying to crank but no spark when cranking.

Doing a google search for 93-96 rangers with 4.0 no spark condition results in many threads....
Most of them end up being a ground (corrosion), power wire or grounds for body/battery/engine/computer grounds/, eec relay, crank sensor, coil pack fuse, ignition switch, starter wiring, or the pcm itself?

Since the 96 engine was running before the swap and is not running now I would carefully go over all of the wiring, look at the pins inside the connectors, check the power distribution carefully
Have you decided to run the 96 cam sensor?
Do the injectors pulse on the - side (noid light) when cranking?
Hows the crank sensor? wiring/ pigtail? Did the crank sensor wires get pinched?
Have you visually checked your cam sensor since install? Does it spin when cranking? Do you have a check engine light when you first turn the key?

Thinking out loud here just things to consider when doing swaps and 4.0 ohv stuff
Usually its something simple, something I missed or find when I check my most recent work

cam sensor definitely spins when cranking. And when cranking oil pressure goes up due to the fact the cam sensor is spinning the pump. being a two wire sensor for the crankshaft. Is that going to be a true 12 volt sensor or does it show microvolts? I just think it's interesting it'll crank and crank and crank without a spark but the moment you stop cranking it will spark

Is there anything up at the ignition lock cylinder? I did have to put a new one of those in.

The crank sensor triggers the spark thru the ecm. It is easy to bump-break it and also the wiring to it as it is kind of in the way of doing things up front. If you have another one laying around it might be good to swap it out just because. Sometimes tapping the sensor with a tool handle or even disconnecting it and plugging it back in is the trick.
Also, since a new engine was mentioned, does the crank pulley-balancer line up well with the sensor?

I did have an extra ceank sensor and I did try it still nothing.

Ive been pondering this thread as I work around the house and shop
You only get a strange spark after cranking
I KNOW the 91-94 cam sensor is ONLY used during start up to tell the PCM the position of the cam in relation to the crank and where the engine is during cranking. It uses this info to time spark and injectors.
So I am thinking there is an issue with your 96 cam sensor in the 93 truck/pcm

Can we re visit your cam sensor wiring? cam synchro timing?
I have seen the 96 sensor used on the 94-95 engines, because those engines used the cam sensor with the glass window and can be hard to find replacements. I am NOT SURE if the 96 cam sensor will work in a 91-93 engine.
Most 93 engines never had a cam sensor UNLESS it was CA emissions.
You might consider swapping in the 93 style sensor

However everything I have learned over the years says this sucker SHOULD START and RUN without the cam sensor installed... but that may not be true for the 094+ trucks, your 93 is an odd year, so I would treat it as a 94 style not a 91. So in conclusion something is fishy with that cam synchro and sensor

That's what im thinking. I was hoping the new style sensor would work because the old-style sensor is twice as much. Luckily there is more then one pic n pull in my area. So hopefully i can find one there. If only I didn't get so overzealous and break the one that I had as I was trying to remove it.

they can be a real PITA to remove
Some of the aftermarket units have been getting hung up on the little oil rod holder/arm
We made a simple tool for slide hammer that can be threaded onto the housing then used to yank it out...I should say Brett made the tool while I struggled and struggled to free one from a 96 explorer
Requires unhooking the trans mount and lifting the tail housing up to get room for the tool
fun fun
Before the 4.0 the old 2.9L had the TFI ignition module in the same spot, also problematic
PITA to access!!

dang $120
1993 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 Camshaft Synchronizer | RockAuto

Find 93 PCM without cam synchro and EGR :)
How exactly did you wire up the 96 sensor? did the wire colors match?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haha i would if it would pass ca smog.

Back