93 parts to keep a 92 alive??

shango6

Reaction score
City, State
Death Valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer EB, 88 Aerost
Hello all!

I have a 92 eb 4wd that I mainly use for exploring the local high desert. No real problems, great truck. It does seem like Im always at the junk yard for some small thing though.

A friend has a 93eb 4wd hes willing to sell me for cheap for a parts car.

My question is what parts from the 93 will work on the 92 and what wont?

Im mainly concerned about things like motor, trans, transfer case, diff, radiator, brake and suspension items....large stuff.

I see right off the 93 has and egr, abs pump etc are different.

Thanks for any advice you can give on whats the same and whats not.

The big stuff is the same pretty much. Axles, trans (they got better each year), transfer case, etc work. You can use the 93 motor if you swap over the intake parts etc without egr. Basically they added egr and redesigned the electrical distribution system, along with adding 4 wheel abs in 93. The radiator should be the same as long as it has the same options (auto, a/c, etc)

Everything swaps over. The only thing the radiator depends on is the transmission (manual/auto), and the fan clutch depends on the tranny, a/c, etc.

There were quite a few hybrid '93's (Especially Sports and EB 2-doors) built in late '92 that came from the factory without EGR but with a lot of the other improvements, so you can just swap stuff (i.e. engine, ignition, etc.) but keep other stuff from your '92 (EGR-less emissions, manifolds, etc.)

You can swap over the 4-wheel ABS system too, with the right parts and some wiring changes.

If the price is cheap enough and you have a place to store it, a parts truck will probably save you more than the cost, not to mention what you save instead of going to the junkyard. Anything you swap on your '92 for a '93 part can also be sold off too.

Back