• Register Today It's free!

93 ranger mechanics help!!!

Garretthomas

Reaction score
City, State
Independence
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer xlt
im working on a 93 4 cylinder 5 speed ranger and the flywheel teeth are stripped out. heres my problem. i can not seem to get the last bell housing bolt off. it is the one right beneath the oil filter is there any good tricks to getting at this bolt as it is in a very ackward angle and position to get with a ratchet or a wrench PLEASE HELP!! need to have this job finished by tommoroh... any advice is welcome

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

loosen the transmission mount and let the tranny drop that should give you just enough clearance to get it, and remove the oil filter.

we have the tranny dropped but that still doesnt move the angle u have to go on the bolt at there seems to be a little bracket that is right in the way that is mounted onto the bellhousing bolt its self so removing this bracket is a problem cuz if we could remove it i wouldnt be on here asking how to get the bellhousing bolt off. anymore ideas??

try bending the braket just a bit, what does it hold?

nnothing really it just kinda curves and mounts to the frame and the other bolt on it is the bell houseing bolt and the way it curves makes it hard to get on the bolt without jumping off when you try to rachet on it and i would really rather not strip the head of the bolt off cuz then i will be in some even worse trouble

get a pry bar and bend the #### out of it.

well i hate to sound like a frickin newbie at this sh** but theres really nothing to get leverage to pry offa the bend this bracket... kinda a ###*** situation very irritating and pretty ****ty job to be doing out in the cold

can you at least fit a socket on the bolt? i had to do something like that on the rear suspension on my girlfriends car

yes i can get a socket on the bolt but cannot hold enough pressure on the socket to keep it from poping off the bolt when i turn it and the bolt seems to be stuck. possibly rusted in or just really tight please dont suggest impact wrench cannot fit that in this space and do not have one for this job

if it was possible and if you have the tools, try putting a vise grip on the socket and try to do it that way, if not see if you can use a swivel extension

tried all that guess ill try mayb bending the bracket some how and if that doesnt work stop at the ford shop tommoroh and see what they say

Put a 12 point combination wrench on the bolt and loosen it with a big hammer.

Isn't that weird how the last bolt you choose to take out is the one that won't come out and gives ya trouble. Never understood that phenomenon.
Anyway, put two bolts back in on either side of this one take the pressure off and see if that helps. Can the bracket be cut off..... hack saw, saws-all, cut off disk? I mean, if it's really not holding anything.

You talk about wrenches and ratchets........break over bar and cheater won't get in there? Hard to explain this part but I'd be looking for a block of wood that would fit put against the socket to stop it from rolling off. Like when you take lug nuts off, one hand pushes down at the lug nut and the other hand pulls up or down on the end of the B bar.

One of these has helped me get and offset in a lot of those awkward spaces. Thought the were called wobble joints but they are listed as impact universal joints.
You gotta scroll down a little over half way

Good luck guy

have you tried to get to it with a couple long extensions from underneath with the trans dropped down? thats how i did mine except its a explorer and has a 4.0

Back