93 Ranger transmission won't engage when warm. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Ranger transmission won't engage when warm.

Krusie

Reaction score
I am new here and I am finding very odd problems with my transmission. I have a 93 ford ranger A4LD tranny. I put a used transmission in my truck in the summer of 2008 that is the same type. From what I am reading, I have had an issue with the governor being 'sticky' for the entire time because the transmission clunked when it engaged into gear. Going from P to anything other than N when it is cold makes it clunk into gear. When I let off the gas, the tranny completely disengages and I can rev the engine like it is in neutral. Then it picks back up and re-engages.
Now, the transmission has recently (14 days ago) gotten worse. At first I simply couldn't put the truck in OD until I was going around 40mph. But as of 3 days ago, It clunks into gear, when cold. It drives fine like described above. However, once it is warmed up, if I pull it out of gear, going to N,P,R, it will not shift back into OD,D,1,2. I have to push the truck for it to re-engage.
P.S. reverse works just fine other than regular clunking into gear.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sorry, this shouldn't be here. I mean to put this in the transmission problems category. I am somewhat confused because I just joined.

welcome

Back