93 Refuses to catch gear. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Zinith

Reaction score
City, State
Ravenswood, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
93Expl.XLT 4l v6 2wd auto
Whenever you put it in gear and try revving it up to help it into gear, if it actually tries, the engine will bog down for a second and it'll just slip immediately out of gear. And it'll do this every time, no matter if you in reverse, drive, 2,1. Its the same reaction to every gear.

I took a video to show how its acting:

Fluid doesn’t smell burnt.
2x4
Anyone know what might be my problem?
Torque converter?

clogged filter, filter fell off, massive internal pressure leak, shift linkage WAY out of adjustment, bent "z" link.

I'd start by drop'n the pan and have a look at the "z" link and double check shift cable adjustment.

The "z" link connects the rooster comb to the manual shift valve. Have a look at this thread...

A4LD "Z" - link

clogged filter, filter fell off, massive internal pressure leak, shift linkage WAY out of adjustment, bent "z" link.

I'd start by drop'n the pan and have a look at the "z" link and double check shift cable adjustment.

The "z" link connects the rooster comb to the manual shift valve. Have a look at this thread...

A4LD "Z" - link

Would it mean anything if I were to mention that there was a huge trail of smoke behind me when it went out?

It’s never had work done on the transmission other than just general maintenance, and it’s got like +250k miles on it.
About 10-15k miles ago the transmission filter was changed along with the fluid.
But the z link seems to be working fine, I can hear it doing what it’s supposed to. It just won’t catch into the gear I’m trying to put it in.

Like if I put it in reverse, when it grabs a little, it’ll jerk the vehicle backwards. Vise versa for the forward gears.

Back