• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• We are aware of the issue with our internal search engine and we will be bringing it back online shortly. For now please use the Google search bar near the top of each page. Thanks, Rick
^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

'93 with Full width D60/D70

samwe

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
So I had a EB D44/9" combo and some 33" Super Swamper LTB's, but then my friend had these axles for sale.

Now I have a D60 and a D70. The 60 is low pinion, but is king pin.
Gears ar 4.10's for now, 5.13's are in the future.
Rear D70 has Discs added.
Tires are 36x13.5x16 Iroks
Front springs are 6.5" BC Bronco coils. Using modified late '70's F150 buckets.

Rear is spring over with a 1" 0 rate. I will add some shackles to level it out soon.
Here is a pic:

In that pic one side is still on a jackstand and higher than with the tire, so the front is actually a bit lower now.

I will get more pictures later, but I have beenbusy working on it!

Here is a before pic:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

mitch

Reaction score
City, State
high point, NC (home) charlotte, NC (school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited
wow nice score on the 60/70 combo looks great, i wish i was closer so i could take the 44 and 9 inch off your hands.

zainyD

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Ranger 4x4 XLT
Are you still running the stock outer stub shafts? If so aren't they 19 spline like the D44? I think they upgraded to 30 spline in 78-79.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Is this a radius arm setup? Its kinda hard to tell on the first pic.

samwe

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Yep, just grinded the wedges until they fit teh D60.
This D60 has 30 spline outers adn 35 spline inners.
The only undesireable trait is that it is low pinion, but it is still plenty strong...

The 44 and 9" went to a new home under an Early bronco.

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Why? Were you breaking parts on the D44 or the 9????? Just curious, I may have a deal on those axles and was wondering how they worked for you?

gluvsave35

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt v8
looks real good

buckshotmudder

Reaction score
City, State
Jefferson City, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Sport Trac 2wd
wow that looks great

samwe

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I decided to swap axles before I spent any money upgrading the D44. I also got a good price on the axles I bought.
I see people brake shafts alot, and I like to get out a bit from the road. Overkill is a good thing when you are a long days drive from the road..
Plus, when I wear out the 36's, maybe I will have money for something like 42 or 44" swampers...

samwe

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT

Here is the front.
The coil bow is better after I flattened out the bottom spring mounts.

The rear is similar, only a D70 not 60, and it has no steering knuckles, and leafs instead of coils and....

This thing drives great. I am real happy. Off road it has done well so far.

It is 4.10 geared, open in the front and a limited slip in the back.
I am going to 5.86's with a OX locker up front and a Powrlock or Detroit in the back,just need the money!

Over the winter I hope to switch to these brackets and make my own radius arms. Probably build some new coil buckets then too.

'97 V8

Reaction score
City, State
ft. knox ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 mounty 5.0 4x4 baby!!
pretty bad ass.

XLT_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
thunder bay ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
be careful i can't remember exactly what gear ratio my buddy had but there are two different carriers for the d70 with the 5.13 you may need a new carrier but man that looks awesome

zainyD

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Ranger 4x4 XLT
Looks good! Get some action shots up.

samwe

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I will need new carriers.
I want detroit in the back and an OX up front. Saving phase of that project is in progress now.

You are right, I need action shots! Next trip I will take my wife and see if she will get out and take pics of it in motion.

R3dAlert

Reaction score
City, State
Central Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 EB Sport
If the drivers side wheel is fully flexed out, how much space does that d60 have before it hits the crossmember/other parts? Say you had a high pinion centersection, does it look like a HP60 would fit without hitting anything with the same amount of lift you currently have?

(If you could measure the distance from the bottom of the drivers door to the ground on your ex, i'd reallllly appreciate it.)

samwe

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
R3dAlert said:
If the drivers side wheel is fully flexed out, how much space does that d60 have before it hits the crossmember/other parts? Say you had a high pinion centersection, does it look like a HP60 would fit without hitting anything with the same amount of lift you currently have?

(If you could measure the distance from the bottom of the drivers door to the ground on your ex, i'd reallllly appreciate it.)
The only difference on the High pinion would be driveshaft clearence, I think it would be more likely to hit the exhaust Y pipe if it was HP.
The gusset on the housing will hit the bottom of engine crossmember now, but it needs to be stuffed pretty far.
The offset of the pumpkin chnaged over the years to, so that will effect things also.