93 XLT Dana 44 front axle swap. (I NEED HELP PLEASE). | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 XLT Dana 44 front axle swap. (I NEED HELP PLEASE).

I have a 93 xlt with the front ttb off, and im getting a danna 44 out of a 78-79 bronco. How much does it need to be shotned, and on what side the passanger or the driver. Im not doing a four link right not im doing the same set up as froader. Is there a complete thread thats shows step by step what i need and what i need do as far as installing it. Thank you so much. :). :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...It is late so replies may be few...I can only add that it will be 6" off the passenger side that needs to be cut...

just go full width like LD50 did on his 93..........it looks badass:thumbsup:

or cut a little less of if it'll save you from having to use offset rims :)

then again i suppose you want to match the rear.

6" (5.96875" technically) off of the long side will bring it down to Early Bronco width and still be able to use stock shafts. Any more or less and you will have to custom shafts made.

A '78-79 FSB has a long side of 33.90625" and a '71-77 EB has a long side of 27.9375".

welcome

Cool ill is real costly to cut an axle, and by the way thanks for the respone from all of you this site is awsome ive had my exploder for years and never knew this site was here.

Best link I know on how to shorten.

http://www.4wheeler.ca/index.php?showtopic=391

Followed up with a great tip by Kirby N. - Don't attach the c-wedge in 6" but instead move it in like 5", this will help when you put on your coils to help with them bowing outward.

I see your in AZ, i've done this before if you're close and want a hand.

Best link I know on how to shorten.

http://www.4wheeler.ca/index.php?showtopic=391

Followed up with a great tip by Kirby N. - Don't attach the c-wedge in 6" but instead move it in like 5", this will help when you put on your coils to help with them bowing outward.

I see your in AZ, i've done this before if you're close and want a hand.

Dannyboy: I'm almost positive that the 78-79 d44 hp's have the cast in wedge that has the c and everything as one hollow piece. if he sets the wedge at 5" in he will need a custom shaft. he couldn't use an EB length.

OP: you'll have to use a high nickel rod to weld it back in place once its narrowed if you decide to narrow it. I have a set of flattop knuckles too if you want to run a highsteer, I might put them up for sale. I think I want to just save and get a 60 rather than build my 79 d44, but i'm not too sure yet.

Yes, 78-79 D44 are cast wedges. They can be shortened, but are more complicated and are best left full width. If you truly want the a shorter axle than look at pre '78 D44s from a F100/F150 or a D44 from a '78-79 F250. If you can find a U100 that still has the D44 that will work with no cutting.

Leave it full width since it's a pain to cut it down. I wish I left my front end full width instead of cutting it down.

Thanks so much for the help so i should go with a early bronco axle, i can use the stock knuckles and spindle off the 79 axle to give it disc brakes, and what is a u100. Thanks so much.

Leave it full width. If you cut the axle down it will move the diff towards the center of the truck. This will require you to have more lift and less up travel. Full with and a heavy offset rim would be my vote. Get the easier setup of the suspension and a better scrub radius at the tires.

Another vote for full width here.:thumbsup: If you run the right backspacing it will not be that much wider then if you were to cut it down. Besides the tires sticking out a bit protects the body a bit.;)

I'm running a 78-79 Bronco Axle by the way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you made a poll, id bet about 95% of the people here would say go fullwidth. And i would be one of them. :D

Back