93 XLT Starts but stalls | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

93 XLT Starts but stalls

n0c7

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
1993 Ford Explorer XLT. Will start up without an issue but idles about 3000-4000rpm and I can hear a whining, then the RPM's drop and the engine stalls. I can start it up again no problem but it will continue to do the same thing. This is from a cold start. I can keep it running if I give some throttle when the RPM's drop but as soon as I don't it stalls. Any help appreciated.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

lofton316

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer
1993 Ford Explorer XLT. Will start up without an issue but idles about 3000-4000rpm and I can hear a whining, then the RPM's drop and the engine stalls. I can start it up again no problem but it will continue to do the same thing. This is from a cold start. I can keep it running if I give some throttle when the RPM's drop but as soon as I don't it stalls. Any help appreciated.

fuel pressure problem?

AdvanceExpo

Reaction score
City, State
Pineville, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Unplug the mass air flow meter and start it and see if that helps. If it does then you have a bad mass air flow meter.

n0c7

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
It ended up being a vacuum leak. After a few starts it started idling really low in and up and down pattern. Sprayed around and found a cap missing and a loose hose side by side. Go figure. :) Quick and easy fix. Thanks for the tips.

BP_93explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Bedford, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Sport 2wd (GONE)
I had a thread for this same problem about 2 weeks ago. I was told its fairly common so you may want to keep a few extra caps in the glove box.

n0c7

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
I had a thread for this same problem about 2 weeks ago. I was told its fairly common so you may want to keep a few extra caps in the glove box.

Still kind of wondering where it went, as the fitting was pulling and not pushing.

BP_93explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Bedford, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Sport 2wd (GONE)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187198

That was my thread. The engine is running the same as always. Here is what I think happened to mine and probably yours:
That leakage is very common with the 4.0 OHV V6. The slightest backfire(not loud), just a cough backwards through the intake, will blow off one or more of the vacuum plugs or hoses. I carried a few spare plugs in my 93 Explorer, it would do that at start up about once a month. I always was able to find the missing plug, except once. Good luck,