• Register Today It's free!

93' xplorer drop questions

mtadd162

Reaction score
City, State
franklin, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 eddie bauer
alright guys, i've decided to to lower my 93', few question before tho...few things that have been brought up is that when i lower my truck will my driveshaft need to be shortened? (only going for a 2" drop), and also from past experience hows the wheel space/rub with p235's.....and becuase everybody tells me it wont handle like i think it will, how does it handle with a simple 2" drop (with the 2" blocks in back and springs in front)...if crappy/needs help, what other parts should be taken into consideration?..thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cough....anybody?

i've done some searching....and noticed alot of the TT (torsion twisting)....would this work for the my year, the 1st generation explorers?

tt will not work for you since you have coils up front as opposed to torsion bars. Question for you: are you 4x4? 2wd? I have heard very bad things about lowering the first gen 4x4's. You do not need to shorten your driveshaft any, your all set there. As far as how it will handle, I will wait for someone else to chime in since I have no expereince with lowering a first gen.

yea its 4WD, yea doesnt seem to be a lot of chiming going on

Not much chiming due to the fact that your in lonely territory. From what I have heard, the lowered 1st gen 4x4's can only be lowered a couple inches (which is what your doing so no problems there) due to the fact that the front differential will have clearance issues with the oil pan. Also from what I have heard, the ride quality becomes very harsh on our generation trucks when lowered. Again, I cna't speak from expereince so take what I say with a grain of salt. Hopefully someone else will be able to give some advice.

can the ride be cleaned up at all with sway bars and new shocks?

I just lowered mine 3 inches in the back, and 2 inches in the front. I replaced all the shocks at the same time. I took my wife for a ride and she thinks it rides better than it did before. Now 3 inches in the back is almost too much. I may go with 2 inch blocks in the near future.

exlow1.jpg

this is with the 3 inch drop in the back. not alot of space there anymore. I would say do the 2 inch for sure. Oh yeah my X is a XLT 4x4, no noises, rattles etc so far.

Later

Josh

nice...looks awesome....and thats all you had to do right, what about sway bars? and hows the front tires at making sharp turns?

and what shocks were they...just replacement shocks or what? and can somebody please tell me where to find these lowering blocks?

mtadd162 said:
and what shocks were they...just replacement shocks or what? and can somebody please tell me where to find these lowering blocks?

I just bought some good monroe shox, and my block kit is made by beltech. Stylin Concepts has them. Also steeda makes a block kit, and you can always look on ebay im sure. In the future I will be getting the Steeda sway bars just to finish things off.

Thanks for the comments on my X

Later

Josh

mtadd162 said:
yea its 4WD, yea doesnt seem to be a lot of chiming going on

Could that be cause lowering a 4x4 is counterproductive? :confused:

I just ordered belltech springs for the front, I will post pics when its all in.

Back