93k kilometers oil change...should I add a quart of ATF? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93k kilometers oil change...should I add a quart of ATF?

ornithology

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 X Sport2dr 4.0 V6 XLT
I'm trying to tweak the truck to get an increase of mpg. I'm going to change the fuel filter, and also get an oil change done with Mobil1 Synthetic 5W30. I live up in Vancouver, BC and the temperature is averaging between 2-6 degrees now.

Anyways, my main question is I only have 93,000 kilometers (57 miles)on the engine. Wondering if I should add some ATF do clean it? I'm wondering if any "sludge" or "grime" could be there holding the engine together and if the engine cleaning with ATF would remove this, thus causing a damaged engine. Should I do this or not?

I guess while we're at it, is 5W30 sufficient for the temperature around here or should I opt for the 10W30? I'm also wondering if I should go for the Mobil1 ATF?

I have an 03 Ex Sport V6 4L

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only fluid that belongs in your engines' crank case is motor oil.
5W-30 is fine, personally I don't believe in synthetic oils.
I've used nothing but Castrol GTX in every vehicle I've ever owned,
including BMW's that specify synthetic. Never had any issues, leaks, abnormal wear ect.
The $$$ I've saved in oil changes over the years------priceless.

Oil is a personal choice, use what you feel comfy with. Mobil 1 is great stuff.
Most all oils have detergents in them, that's what keeps your crank case clean.
Anything else is just good marketing.

I don't understand why you would add ATF as a cleaning agent :scratch: , it's a lubricant not a detergent. If you want to clean the engine use seafoam (the stuff in a metal can NOT what you find on the beach!) I forget how much you add but it specifies on the can. If you want to be very thorough you could "rinse" the engine with kerosene

1. Drain oil except one quart, or you can drain all the oil and add one quart of new oil. (Starting with a NEW oil filter is recommended).
2. Add the remainder as kerosene, approx. 3 quarts.
3. Start the engine. DO NOT REV THE ENGINE
4. Let it run until warm, not HOT, just warm. About 5-10 mins.
5. Drain the entire contents, during or just after you can continuously pour kerosene into the engine until it comes out clear...
6. Add one quart oil, 3 quarts kerosene.
7. Run the engine again until slightly warmer. DO NOT REV THE ENGINE
8. Drain the entire system.
9. Again if you think it requires, you can pour Kerosene into the NON-running engine as it drains out until it comes out clear.
10. Pour about one quart of oil and let it run out of the oil pan.
11. Add your favourite oil/oil filter.(replace oil pan plug...)
12. Run engine until it’s at operating temperature. Check to make sure it is running ok.
13. Optional...You can drain the system one last time and add new oil filter and oil...

You run the risk of thinning the new oil with residual kerosene that didn't drain that's why I recommend step 13. You could also skip that step and do an oil change after 1000-1500 miles just to be safe.

Cool thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just stick with a regular oil change.

Cool thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just stick with a regular oil change.

I FULLY believe in synthetics!! They make a difference! BUT, are you going to be keeping this vehicle for a long time? If you arent, then its not worth the extra cash for synthetics. Also depends on what you use the vehicle for. If you a tow heavy trailer or is worked hard then synthetics are good. If you just drive around town and do errends then synthetics probably wouldnt be worth it.

Isn't that like 60,000 miles american without an oil change? I can't believe it's still running. Is the oil on the dip stick like tar? I wouldn't use atf in the engine. I would just do several early regular oil changes. Then continue changing oil every 3,000 miles or about every 4,500 km. In my opinion synthetic oil is awesome.

Isn't that like 60,000 miles american without an oil change? I can't believe it's still running. Is the oil on the dip stick like tar? I wouldn't use atf in the engine. I would just do several early regular oil changes. Then continue changing oil every 3,000 miles or about every 4,500 km. In my opinion synthetic oil is awesome.

He never said he hasn't changed the oil, he simply stated he's worried about sludge after 60k miles.

He never said he hasn't changed the oil, he simply stated he's worried about sludge after 60k miles.

That's right, I change my oil every 4,000-6,000 kilometers. However, I just purchased this truck and am going to change the oil anyways just in case. BUT because I bought it at that mileage (93,000km now) I was wondering if adding the ATF is necessary.

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it.

That's right, I change my oil every 4,000-6,000 kilometers. However, I just purchased this truck and am going to change the oil anyways just in case. BUT because I bought it at that mileage (93,000km now) I was wondering if adding the ATF is necessary.

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it.

If you are changing your oil and filter every 4-6K KM then you are fine. Just keep doing what you are doing. Synthetic does not break down as fast but otherwise there is no difference, except the price and change interval. I run synthetic in my Mustang's 4.6 and good old dino oil in my Ex's 4.0 (gotta support the local "dirty oil" industry!:p:). I really do not think that there is much of a difference in performance between the two as long as you keep the junk clean.

Back