93xlt on 33's, what clutch should i get? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93xlt on 33's, what clutch should i get?

hatched91

Reaction score
City, State
godfrey, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport ohv 5spd
hello, i am in need of opinions. i have a 93xlt 4wd on 33x12.50 m/t's. what kind of clutch should i get? i had a stock clutch and my 4wl doesn't work so i burned the clutch a few times pulling people and creeping up steep hills. finally it just burned up, but within 3 months. needless to say i'll be sure to get the 4wl fixed and be more careful, but should I upgrade to a stage 1 clutch? is it worth twice the money than a stock clutch?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd go with a Luk Pro gold series clutch. They've got more holding power than a stock clutch and you can get the entire kit for about 250. That gives you everything you need clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, slave cylinder and pilot bearing. I've been running a Luk pro gold in my truck for over 2 years now and it's held up to my abuse thus far.

i would say get a centerforce clutch. the high end model. dual friction one. a little overkill... probably... but thats what i bought for my truck and i got it cuz the company i bought it from said it would be the best for offroad use, something that can handle some abuse. and since the stock one isn't so great y not upgrade?

I had a centerforce one in my old sport. However....
That dual friction thing DOES NOT apply to an Explorer. The Explorer uses a different setup. You get everything that says dual friction, but it's a standard centerforce clutch. The Luk one I've heard is the same as a stock one. And I don't think the slave is included. That's an $$ part alone.
Maybe things changed, but when I was looking no one made anything that could be considered a heavy duty/performance clutch for an X application.

Jason94sport said:
I had a centerforce one in my old sport. However....
That dual friction thing DOES NOT apply to an Explorer. The Explorer uses a different setup. You get everything that says dual friction, but it's a standard centerforce clutch. The Luk one I've heard is the same as a stock one. And I don't think the slave is included. That's an $$ part alone.
Maybe things changed, but when I was looking no one made anything that could be considered a heavy duty/performance clutch for an X application.

centerforce has three levels of clutches (from what i've gathered). the base model is still better than a stock clutch. they have that one for the explorers. then they have the mid level which they do not offer for the explorer. then they have the dual friction or whatever the top of the line one was that i got for the explorer. i got all this from the company i bought it from. i was going to get the mid level one but they said they don't offer one for the explorer. and i wanted something better than the base model... so they told me the dual friction one would be it. this is just what i got from the salesmen that sold me my clutch. and i paid the price for the high level one... atleast thats the impression i was given.

so they told me the dual friction one would be it. this is just what i got from the salesmen that sold me my clutch.
You got had just as I did. The center weights on the pressure plate do not clear the flywheel & bell housing. So they cannot be used on an Explorer application. That's with any of their clutches.
That's not to say it's not a good piece. It was heavy enough when I installed it. It looked like a quailty piece. Performed fine.

Definately go with Luk Pro/Dial a clutch.

Jason94sport said:
You got had just as I did. The center weights on the pressure plate do not clear the flywheel & bell housing. So they cannot be used on an Explorer application. That's with any of their clutches.
That's not to say it's not a good piece. It was heavy enough when I installed it. It looked like a quailty piece. Performed fine.

even my packing slip says dual friction clutch on it. see if i understood what you were saying it would be better. but i don't know anything about clutches. :rolleyes: this'll be my first time to change one. heck i don't even know what the dual friction really means, i simply got it cuz they said it'll hold up good offroad. and thats really all i'm worried about. is that it can handle some abuse. unlike my stock clutch...

well the auto parts store warrenteed the clutch. it was free. i also made a 1/8" thick spacer out of nylon for the slave cylinder. everything works great. i'll just take it easy off-roading. when i can afford a good clutch, i'll invest in one! thanks.

im running the stock clutch and i have 36's

I'm running a centerforce dual friction w/ 37s. I guess that doesn't really matter much though, since I've got 4.88s to make up for the added stress/weight/etc of the larger tires.

Back