94 4.0 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 4.0 explorer

Jradams285

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer
Hi everybody, I just recently bought my first ford explorer, it's a 94 4.0 ohv 4x4 5pd, I paid 200 for it, the timing chain tensioner was broken so it didn't run, ok I replaced the whole timing set, now it runs, when setting there idling or reving it up its fine, now when I drive it won't hardly go over 3000 rpm, and it takes a little bit to get up to speed, it don't have any misses or backfiring or anything like that, just replaced the plugs wires and coil today, has anybody had an issue like this before? Or any advise, Thanks for your time?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like bad TPS or dirty MAF, or both. Any check engine lights (make sure it comes on when you first turn the key)?

Ok the check engine light don't come on at all, even at startup, so I'll try pull codes after work, and I did notice it poping alot out of the exhaust this morning, kinda like my old chevy with staight pipes,

Sounds like bad timing to me. Easy mistake to get it off a tooth.

Ok went to check for codes using the paper clip method, and found out that there is no bulb for the check engine light, but I checked the maf sensor I was told that if it was good when you unplug it, it will die or idle down real low, i unplugged it and it idled the same but seemed to Rev up a little better

Sounds like bad timing to me. Easy mistake to get it off a tooth.

I don't think it's that easy on the Explorer. Both sprockets have a notch and can only go on in that specific spot. You might be able to have an extra link on the tension side but I doubt it. As long as you don't rotate the cam or crank, it should be pretty idiot proof.

What you mean you have trouble going 3000 RPM. You mean when you shift gears at 3K or driving down the road at 3K. I have an automatic but at 3000 RPM i'm going about 70+ MPH

Ok had it scanned at oriellys, there were no codes, Yea I meant when I go to shift, I usually shift around 2500 or 3k, and as far as the timing part goes, both gears do have notches on them to go in a specific spot, and the timing marks on them point at each other when put together, it starts right up on the first try, without any problems, I did forget to mention that it sat for over a year I think before I bought it,

I'very been doing a little research on here and came across something about a camshaft synchronizer, kinda like a distributor, was I supposed to do anything with that when timing the motor, it did jump time when the tensioner broke

Doesn't sound like your timing is to blame. Get the TPS tested and MAF cleaned, they might be all that's causing this.

Back