• Register Today It's free!

94 - 92 Compatibility

JLamb85742

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I have a 92 explorer with lots of little issues like rear window motors, drivers seat, front door puls, etc. and one big problem - transmission. In generat however its been a very good vehicle and in mechanically sound. I have an opertunity to buy a crashed 94 XLT as a parts donor. How compatible are these two? would I expect that door panels and seats could be swapped? Any differences in the xmissions? Both are automatics. Is there a diference between xmissions for a 4wd and 2wd?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4x4 and 4x2 trannys are different. They cannot be interchanged.
I believe that the new trannys are stronger that the old ones. I don't know what changes were do to it though.
I imagine that most of the interior is interchangeable. Some of the interior piece look a bit different. But most of these pieces are on the dash.

I just put an entire 94 interior into a 91. I swaped all 4 doors as well as the hatch, sunroof and im working on swaping the engine and tranny as well.
The only prolem you might have is if one had a bench seat. theres a bracket that was aded to the floor that trucks with buckets have that trucks wich a bench do not. i had that problem as the 91 had a bench, so i driled out the spot welds and tranfered the bracket from the 94 into the 91. ther only peices i retained from the 91 was the dash cowl (to lazy to take it out) and the peice below the steering colum. i could have adapted the 94 part to fit, but it was easier this way. the gauge clusters are diferent how ever. you can swap the gauges themselves, but not the circuittry to them as when i did nothing worked properly for some odd reason.

The 4x4 and 4x2 trannys are different. They cannot be interchanged.

Nope they are the same. The tail shaft housing is different. That you can buy, or swap to the tranny. The trans is the same for any 91-94 as well as all the other parts. There's no real difference except for some emmissions stuff, ECU's, some wiring, & trim level(xlt, sport, eb etc)
The 93-94 A4LD trans does have some upgraded parts. As do the cylinder heads.

I don't think that you can swap a 2wd tranny into a 4wd truck. From what I remember reading, the output shafts are different and to swap you need to tear the entire trans apart to put the right output shaft on the 2wd trans. Hope this helps :)

What is involved in swapping the tail shafts? One place I contacted said that the tranny R&R on this truck was a particularly difficult job. True?

Back