94 Aerostar with a 4.0L has no power going to the fuel pump. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Aerostar with a 4.0L has no power going to the fuel pump.

dgetty

Reaction score
City, State
Neosho, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Aerostar AWD
Hello and thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 94 aerostar that just died on me the other day. I have no power at the fuel pump. The fuse at the inertia switch is good but there is no power there either and it has not been triggered. The fusible link at the starter relay seems to be good also. This van is a rusted out beater with 192k on it and I dont want to invest any $ in it. If I can rig it to run, great. If it will cost much, I will probably scrap it:( I have a Haynes manual but it doesnt seem to be that helpful. I should mention that the other day I checked the fuse by the inertia switch with a test light and it had power at both sides of the fuse but now there is no power at all. Thanks again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

why not just put the fuel pump on a switch? (or a headlight relay from the auto parts store, and trigger that relay with some key-on power, such as the power stereo turn-on wire)

Welcome to this forum! Check the fuel pump relay. Do you see a check engine light when you turn the key to activate the electrical system? If not, then it could be the PCM relay or a ground wire near the battery that is the ground feed for the PCM.

Thank you both for your replies. I thought about running a switch or even jumping the fuel pump but im not sure what wires to jump at the plug. The connector has a black, red, yellow and another slightly smaller black with a white stripe. There is no power at the connector. Im also not sure which is the fuel pump relay or the pcm relay for that matter. I tried swapping the three relays around under the plastic cover behind the battery and that made no difference. The cel does come on and stay on with the key in the run position. I have not checked any grounds yet but it cranks over no problem. I guess im looking for specific locations of these things and specific wire colors if at all possible. Even proper ways to check things out would be helpful. I have a multimeter but dont know how to use it all that well. Thanks again !

i have the same problem on my 94 X. i lost all power to my fuel pump and have no spark.
what could it be?

Check your PCM relay since the computer controls the fuel pump, and the basic functions for the vehicle to run. Do you see a check engine light when you turn on the electrical system with a key?

pcm is good and i have a CEL. i blew the 30 amp fuse for the PCM the is in the fuse box under the hood. I looks like it was the only fuse never replaced in the fuse box.. i now have the spark situation figured out but still no fuel. The fuel pump relay and fuse are both good. I cant tell if i have power at the fuel pump to to the fact that i cant turn the key on and get iunder the truck fast enuf b4 he pump power would turn off.

Back