• Register Today It's free!

94 Auto Trans Issues

DepartedIrishman

Reaction score
City, State
Medford, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I recently removed the slack from my trottle cable, left a little play in the cable though. Took it for a test drive right after to see what changed and now it doesn't shift from 1st to second until around 3500rmp and will rev high in 1st until I reach a certain speed. But, if I just gun it, it still shifts high but smooth. In other words if I am at a dead stop and gradually build up speed, the engine revs very high and when it finally does shift it isn't smooth. But if I give it a good amount of gas, the shift in gears is barely noticeable. Also, around 50mph (at a constant speed) it feels as if it shifts in and out of gear roughly. Tranny fluid levels are fine and it was flushed 6 months ago. I do not drive my Ex rough at all. Any advice or info would obviously be greatly appreciated. The one good thing though is I can get up and go now without all the slack it once had in the cable. Very noticeable difference in that respect.

one of the cables is your kickdown cable and when that one has tension on it it makes the transmission shift and much higher rpm and the cable is only supposed to be pressed down at wot.

So simply let more slack out of the cable? Makes sense, easy fix. Thank you.

yep there should be 2 cables on the gas pedal the one on the left is throttle, the one on the right is the kickdown

Back